Surgical And Medical Procedures
Medical and surgical procedures are sometimes recommended for the treatment of viral STIs. This includes:
- HPV: Procedures to remove HPV genital warts include cryotherapy , electrocautery , interferon injection into warts, laser treatment, and surgery.
- Hepatitis: In some cases, significant liver damage can occur from hepatitis infections, and a liver transplant may be needed.
So What Is The Best Treatment For Chlamydia
Current guidance from both the National Institute of Clinical Excellence and the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV, state that doxycycline is the preferred and first-line treatment for chlamydia. This is due to antibiotic resistance, as research has shown that chlamydia responds better to doxycycline. Azithromycin should be used where doxycycline is not safe to be prescribed, and for patients who may experience difficulty in sticking to a one-week regime. To find out more information, you can visit our chlamydia FAQâs.
Whilst all of our content is written and reviewed by healthcare professionals, it is not intended to be substituted for or used as medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns about your health, please speak to your doctor.
Put Sex On Hold During And After Chlamydia Treatment
If you were given a single dose of antibiotics to treat your chlamydia, you should not have any kind of sex for a full seven days after the day you took the medicine. If youre taking antibiotics for a week, wait another seven days after the last day of your treatment. Be sure to take all of the medicine that is prescribed for you.
Not having sex for seven days after treatment is important so you dont spread the infection to your partner or partners.
Medication stops the infection and can keep you from spreading the disease, but it wont cure any permanent damage that the infection caused before you started treatment. In women, such damage can include blocking the fallopian tubes, causing infertility.
If you still have symptoms for more than a few days after you stop taking your medicine, go back to see your doctor or other healthcare provider so they can check you again.
Don’t Miss: Chlamydia Test Results How Long
How Does Chlamydia Affect Pregnancy
For pregnant women, chlamydia may lead to premature birth, or babies born before 37 weeks of pregnancy. Premature birth is the most common cause of infant death and can lead to long-term health and development problems in children.5
Babies born to mothers who have chlamydia can get:
- Infections in their eyes, called conjunctivitis or pinkeye. Signs include discharge from the eyes and swollen eyelids. The signs most often show up within two weeks after birth.
- Pneumonia. Signs include congestion, cough, and rapid or labored breathing, although these are not always present. Signs most often show up one to three months after birth.
Treatment For Gonorrhea Is Quick And Easy Too
The CDC currently recommends a shot of the antibiotic Rocephin and an oral dose of the antibiotic azithromycin, given at the same time, to treat gonorrhea.
Treatment recommendations for gonorrhea have changed over the years as the bacteria that causes gonorrhea, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, has become resistant to a growing number of antibiotics.
Don’t Miss: Can You Die From Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia
Will The Doctor Be Able To Write Me A Chlamydia Prescription
If you test positive for chlamydia, a PlushCare doctor can write you a prescription for antibiotics. Before writing you a prescription for chlamydia pills, the doctor will order a lab test for you. You will need to test positive for chlamydia before beginning treatment to rule out other conditions. A physician at PlushCare can help provide STD treatment online and help develop a treatment plan for you.
How And When To Take It
Your dose of doxycycline depends on why you are taking it.
The usual dose is 100mg to 200mg once or twice a day. If you’re taking doxycycline more than once a day, try to space your doses evenly throughout the day. If you take it twice a day, this could be first thing in the morning, and in the evening.
For preventing malaria, you’ll take 100mg once a day, usually in the morning. Start taking doxycycline 1 or 2 days before going to an area where there is malaria. Carry on for 4 weeks after leaving the area. Check with your doctor or pharmacist that doxycycline is the best medicine to prevent malaria in the country you are travelling to.
Read Also: Signs You May Have Chlamydia
How To Cope With Side Effects
What to do about:
- headaches make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Everyday painkillers, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, are safe to take with doxycycline.
- feeling or being sick stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy food. It might help to take your doxycycline after a meal or snack but avoid dairy products like milk, cheese and yoghurt. Dairy products can stop your body absorbing your medicine properly. If you are being sick, drink plenty of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Signs of dehydration include peeing less than usual or having strong-smelling pee. Do not take any medicines to treat vomiting without speaking to a pharmacist or doctor.
- sensitivity to sunlight when you go outside, wear sunglasses and clothes that cover you up. Put sunscreen or sunblock on your skin – with a sun protection factor of at least 15 . Also use a sunscreen product for your lips. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds. If you get sunburn, there are things you can do to treat your symptoms.
What Are Common Side Effects Of Chlamydia Medication
Since antibiotics are the exclusive treatment for chlamydia, side effects tend to be pretty similar for those that experience them. However, this is not a full list and you should discuss any possible side effects with your healthcare professional.
Some of the most common side effects of chlamydia medication include:
- Stomach upset
Also Check: How Will I Know If I Have Chlamydia
What Is Chlamydia Like
Chlamydia is a common sexually transmitted infection . Most people who have confirmed cases of chlamydia are recorded to have no symptoms. When symptoms do appear, it occurs in the form of a pus-like yellow discharge, frequent or painful urination. Additionally, some women experience spotting between periods or after sex. Also, rectal pain irritation, bleeding or discharge can occur. Some patients may experience lower abdominal pain, swollen or tender testicles. If left untreated, chlamydia may lead to infertility or irreversible reproductive issues.
Does Amoxicillin Treat Std Infections Such As Gonorrhea
Now its time to discuss how to treat STDs with amoxicillin. Each STD is unique, so the treatment options will vary depending on the type of STD you have.
On the whole, gonorrhea tends to be treatable with common drugs such as penicillin, ampicillin, tetracycline and doxycycline. With several doses of amoxicillin or a similar drug, gonorrhea can be cured in a few days.
Antibiotics such as amoxicillin have been prescribed by doctors to treat gonorrhea in the past. Of course, even though Amoxicillin is one of the most well-known drugs, that doesnt mean that it is the primary drug of choice for treatment of gonorrhea. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that uncomplicated gonorrhea be treated only with the antibiotic ceftriaxone given as an injection in combination with either azithromycin or doxycycline two antibiotics that are taken orally.
According to the CDC, this combination of prescription medications will successfully treat gonorrhea, but it will not repair permanent damage caused by this STD. For this reason, its important to seek medical treatment right away to ensure you can get rid of this infection before it causes permanent damage.
You May Like: Does A Zpack Cure Chlamydia
Microbiological Features Of Chlamydia Trachomatis
- Intracellular parasitizing – combines chlamydia trachomatis with viruses. They are unable to synthesize ATP and completely depend on the energy resources of the cell and destroy it completely in the process of parasitizing.
- The presence of the cell membrane – combines chlamydia with bacteria – makes it possible to use antibiotics for treatment.
- A unique life cycle. Chlamydia are characterized by a very special life cycle, which begins with the infection of sensitive host cells through a chlamydia-specific process of phagocytosis.
Chlamydia exist in the body in two forms:
- Elementary corpuscle or extracellular infectious bodies.
- Reticular bodies – intracellular form of pathogen.
Scientists were unable to classify Chlamydia for a long period of time, because these microorganisms combine both the characteristics of viruses and bacteria.
Learn more about viruses:
Being completely intracellular bacterium Chlamydia resembles a virus: it depends on the nutrients and energy of the host cell, does not synthesize ATP. But like all other bacteria it contains both DNA and RNA and multiplies by division.
Parents Have A Role In Chlamydia Prevention
Parents can do two main things to help their kids avoid getting chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections , says Dombrowski. These two things are:
Recommended Reading: Still Feeling Chlamydia Symptoms After Treatment
What Should I Do If I Have Chlamydia
Chlamydia is easy to treat. But you need to be tested and treated as soon as possible.
If you have chlamydia:
- See a doctor or nurse as soon as possible. Antibiotics will treat chlamydia, but they will not fix any permanent damage to your reproductive organs.
- Take all of your medicine. Even if symptoms go away, you need to finish all of the antibiotics.
- Tell your sex partner so they can be tested and treated. If they are not tested and treated you could get chlamydia again.
- Avoid sexual contact until you and your partner have been treated and cured. Even after you finish your antibiotics, you can get chlamydia again if you have sex with someone who has chlamydia.
- See your doctor or nurse again if you have symptoms that don’t go away within a few days after finishing the antibiotics.
What Antibiotics Do You Get For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is one of the most common STDs. It can be treated easily if caught early. Some of the most recommended antibiotics used to treat chlamydia are azithromycin and doxycycline. Azithromycin is typically given as 2 tablets one time while doxycycline is given as 2 capsules a day for 7 days. These antibiotics are most effective if both partners have received treatment and have taken their prescription as directed.
Also Check: What Pills Get Rid Of Chlamydia
What Is The Treatment For Chlamydia
Chlamydia can be easily cured with antibiotics. HIV-positive persons with chlamydia should receive the same treatment as those who are HIV-negative.
Persons with chlamydia should abstain from sexual activity for 7 days after single dose antibiotics or until completion of a 7-day course of antibiotics, to prevent spreading the infection to partners. It is important to take all of the medication prescribed to cure chlamydia. Medication for chlamydia should not be shared with anyone. Although medication will stop the infection, it will not repair any permanent damage done by the disease. If a persons symptoms continue for more than a few days after receiving treatment, he or she should return to a health care provider to be reevaluated.
Repeat infection with chlamydia is common. Women whose sex partners have not been appropriately treated are at high risk for re-infection. Having multiple chlamydial infections increases a womans risk of serious reproductive health complications, including pelvic inflammatory disease and ectopic pregnancy. Women and men with chlamydia should be retested about three months after treatment of an initial infection, regardless of whether they believe that their sex partners were successfully treated.
Infants infected with chlamydia may develop ophthalmia neonatorum and/or pneumonia. Chlamydial infection in infants can be treated with antibiotics.
How To Treat Gonorrhea And Chlamydia At Home: Get Tested
Taking antibiotics is the only way to treat gonorrhea and chlamydia, and these antibiotics must be prescribed by a physician. This means you cannot treat these STDs at home. But there is something you can do at home: get tested. The results of this at-home test will determine whether or not you need to contact a medical professional to discuss treatment options.
Also Check: How Long Do Chlamydia And Gonorrhea Tests Take
Testing And Treating Sexual Partners
If you test positive for chlamydia, it’s important that your current sexual partner and any other recent sexual partners you’ve had are also tested and treated.
A specialist sexual health adviser can help you contact your recent sexual partners, or the clinic can contact them for you if you prefer.
Either you or someone from the clinic can speak to them, or the clinic can send them a note to let them know they may have been exposed to a sexually transmitted infection .
The note will suggest that they go for a check-up. It will not have your name on it, so your confidentiality will be protected.
Page last reviewed: 01 September 2021 Next review due: 01 September 2024
Who Can And Can’t Take Doxycycline
Doxycycline can be taken by adults and children over 12 years old. Doxycycline is not usually recommended in pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
It isn’t suitable for some people. To make sure this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- ever had an allergic reaction to doxycycline or any other medicine in the past
- kidney problems
- myasthenia gravis, an illness that causes severe muscle wasting
You May Like: Azithromycin 500 Mg Dosage For Chlamydia
Treatment For Chlamydia Is Quick And Easy
Two antibiotics are most often used for treating chlamydia:
- Azithromycin The main treatment for chlamydia is one gram of azithromycin, taken one time, says , deputy director of clinical services for public health with the Seattle and King County HIV and STD Program in Washington. That one gram comes as either two pills or four pills. It is not expensive.
- Doxycycline If your doctor prescribes doxycycline, you will take two pills daily for one week. It costs somewhat more than azithromycin.
Antibiotics can also cure chlamydia in infants, who can get the infection from their mothers, and treatment is essential for them. Without treatment, infants infected with chlamydia can develop conjunctivitis, which can cause blindness, or pneumonia, which can be fatal.
Drugs And Antibiotics For Chlamydia Trachomatis
In accordance with the latest international standards , the most effective drug for urogenital chlamydia is azithromycin – a single dose or a 7-day course of doxycycline is used.
Treatment of uncomplicated chlamydiosis includes:
- azithromycin for infections of the urogenital tract caused by Chlamydia trachomatis . For the treatment of uncomplicated urethritis / cervicitis it is prescribed in a single dose of 1000 mg .
- doxycycline .
Medications containing azithromycin. Brand names: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zmax.
Medications containing doxycycline. Brand names: Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Monodox.
You are probably interested in the following question “how soon can I have sex again?”
If you had a one-day course of azithromycin, you should avoid sex at least for a week after the treatment.
Alternative drugs are other macrolides and fluoroquinolones. The safety profile allows pregnant women to use azithromycin . Other macrolides are not recommended for pregnancy .
In addition to antibiotics, the scheme of chlamydia treatment sometimes includes antifungal drugs , immunomodulators . In case of abundant secretions from the urethra, local antimicrobial agents are also used.
In some cases, additional treatment is prescribed .
In case of chronic chlamydia , antibiotic therapy is longer and often combined .
After 6-9 weeks after the end of the treatment the patient should carry out PCR again .
Also Check: Can You Get Chlamydia Tablets Over The Counter
Amoxicillin For Std Treatment: Does It Work
Amoxicillin is one of the first drugs people think of when they learn that they have contracted a sexually transmitted infection or disease. Many common web searches show that people searching for chlamydia treatments or information on how to treat gonorrhea at home are curious about this as a potential treatment.
At myLAB Box, we understand and appreciate our customers concerns. So we want to address the question: will amoxicillin cure gonorrhea or chlamydia? Lets take a closer look.
What Is The Best Chlamydia Treatment
The best antibiotic to treat chlamydia is doxycycline. If doxycycline cannot be taken, the second line choice of medication to treat chlamydia is azithromycin. Both treatments are over 90% effective and should only be taken if you, or a recent sexual partner, has tested positive for chlamydia.
Read Also: Antibiotics For Chlamydia At Walmart
Can I Buy Chlamydia Treatment Over The Counter
Wondering if you can get chlamydia medicine over the counter?
There is currently no chlamydia treatment available over the counter, you will need to meet with a doctor before getting chlamydia treatment. This is to confirm your chlamydia diagnosis and ensure that antibiotic treatment is safe for you.
Even though prescription medication for chlamydia is not available over the counter that does not mean its hard to get treatment.
You can meet with a board-certified online doctor today for as little as 15 minutes and get antibiotics sent to your local pharmacy. The average appointment lasts 15 minutes and 97% of conditions are treated on the first visit.