Diagnosing Chlamydia In The Throat
- While a conventional STD panel can scan for genital chlamydia, pharyngeal chlamydia is often not included in the scan.
- Though urine scans & UTI testing options such as those provided by Lenco laboratory are the norms for checking genital chlamydia, doctors will look for chlamydia in your throat only if you show relevant symptoms.
- Swab tests are often used by medical professionals to detect chlamydia of the throat.
- The doctor will collect a sample of infected tissue by swabbing your throat and send it to the laboratory for analysis.
- The lab will run a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test to detect the bacterial DNA in the tissue samples to confirm the infection.
- The doctor will also ask you for a detailed medical, surgical, and sexual history to arrive at an appropriate diagnosis.
What Does Chlamydia In The Throat Look Like
Chlamydia in the throat may cause white spots to appear in the back of the throat or tonsils. If you have swollen tonsils and any other symptom that resembles a strep throat infection, it may be wise to still get tested for chlamydia. These white spots may resemble tonsillitis that are caused by a bacterial infection.
How Will I Get My Results
It can take a few days to get your results from a swab test, similar to a Pap smear test in women. If youre a woman, you may also be able to obtain an at-home kit to do the vaginal testing on your own.
Your doctor will call you with the results of your test. Be sure you give your doctor your preferred phone number where you can have privacy, such as a mobile phone number. If you dont want them to leave you a voicemail, be sure you tell them before you leave your appointment.
A urine test is much faster to analyze. Your doctor should be able to tell you the results during the same day as your appointment. The downside is that urine tests may not be as accurate as traditional swab testing.
However, urine testing may be more suitable for men. Its also used for more advanced signs of chlamydia, as your body will have a greater number of bacteria to detect at this stage.
You can obtain a chlamydia test from:
- your primary doctor
- a home testing kit and service
find affordable testing
There are clinics that can perform chlamydia testing at a low cost. In some cases, you may obtain testing free-of-charge. You can find a clinic through the American Sexual Health Associations free locator here. All results are confidential.
Also Check: Can You Get Rid Of Chlamydia On Your Own
How Is Pharyngeal Chlamydia Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider takes a throat swab to check for pharyngeal chlamydia. However, checking throat swabs is not necessarily part of a routine chlamydia test. If your healthcare provider has only collected a urine sample or a vaginal swab, let them know that you would like to be checked for oral chlamydia as well. A urine sample or vaginal swab can come back negative for chlamydia even if you have a pharyngeal infection.
What Can Be Done To Prevent The Spread Of Chlamydia
- Limit your number of sex partners
- Use a male or female condom
- If you think you are infected or have been exposed, avoid any sexual contact and visit a local sexually transmitted disease clinic, a hospital or your doctor. Either bring your sex partners with you when you are treated or notify them immediately so they can obtain examination and treatment.
Don’t Miss: One Day Pill For Chlamydia
What Is The Treatment For Oral Chlamydia
Oral chlamydia is treated with the antibiotics, azithromycin or doxycycline. Doxycycline is the recommended treatment as it is more effective. Chlamydia antibiotics come as oral tablets or pills that are swallowed with water.
It is important that you use chlamydia treatment if you have tested positive. According to the NHS, more than 95% of chlamydia cases are curable if the medication is taken correctly. These antibiotics work by slowing or stopping bacterial growth and this cures the infection, reducing the risk of transmission.
If you are diagnosed with chlamydia of the throat, you should wait until you finish your prescribed dose and your symptoms have completely gone before engaging in sexual activity.
Do not stop your course of antibiotics early, even if your symptoms improve or go away. This could cause the infection to come back.
What Happens If Oral Chlamydia Goes Untreated
Although the initial damage that the chlamydia infection causes can go unnoticed, the infection can lead to both long and short-term complications, according to the CDC.
As well as increasing a persons risk of contracting other STDs, including HIV, untreated chlamydia can result in a number of other complications, these include:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease in women
- Epididymitis in men
Read Also: Can You Treat Chlamydia And Gonorrhea With The Same Antibiotic
Also Check: Antibiotics For Chlamydia For Men
How Do You Get Chlamydia In The Mouth And Throat
There are some myths out there about how you can contract sexually transmitted diseases, so to put your mind at ease we have detailed some instances in which you will not contract chlamydia.
It is not possible to contact chlamydia through:
- Sharing toiletries
Chlamydia may be passed on by:
- Receiving oral sex from someone who has an infection in their mouth or throat.
- Giving oral sex to someone who has an infection of the genitals
- Sharing sex toys with an infected partner
The most common way to get chlamydia in the mouth or throat is through giving someone oral sex who has genital chlamydia. These instances include:
Taking a test is a sure way of identifying whether a person has contracted a sexually transmitted disease. We have a selection of tests that will help identify potential infections, you can buy each one online and take our test in the convenience and privacy of your own home.
What Is The Best Medication To Dry Up Sinus Drainage
The best medication to dry up sinus drainage is over-the-counter decongestant medications. These are available in different forms, such as solutions, sprays, and drops. In addition to using decongestant medications, you should take a warm shower or bath with a cup of Epsom salts to clean your sinuses.
You can also try saline nasal drops or prescription drugs such as antihistamines or steroid nasal sprays to deal with the symptoms associated with rhinorrhea and sinusitis.
Another option for dealing with the drainage from your nose and throat is nasal irrigation. One way to perform this irrigation is by using a Neti pot with a small spout that goes into one nostril, then up into the nasal cavity, and out through the other side of your nose.
All in all, its crucial for people diagnosed with sinus infections to avoid triggers frequently so that their nasal congestion does not worsen over time.
They must follow their physicians instructions for treating their illness effectively, including reducing risk factors as much as possible.
You May Like: Can You Get Chlamydia From Head
How Is Oral Chlamydia Related To Other Chlamydias
Chlamydia is the name of a group of bacteria the type of chlamydia that affects genitals and the throat is called chlamydia trachomatis. This is only a subset of chlamydia bacteria and there other types.
Other types of chlamydias there are some alternative forms of chlamydia to the strain responsible for oral infections, including:
- Lymphogranuloma venereum this can also cause genital infections but is very rare in the UK
- Chlamydia psittaci which cause a flu-like illness
- Chlamydia pneumoniae which causes pneumonia in adults
Do tests vary between different types of chlamydia? yes. The tests for chlamydia will be different even for the same strain of chlamydia depending on where the infection is:
- Throat swab for mouth chlamydia
- Vulvovaginal swab for genital chlamydia in women
- A urine test for genital chlamydia in men
Other different strains or types of chlamydia also require different tests as they affect other parts of the body such as the lungs or eyes.
Does treatment vary between types of chlamydia? generally not very much. Because different types of chlamydia are still all bacterial infections, they are usually treated with broad spectrum antibiotics like doxycycline.
You Can Catch Chlamydia If Youve Only Had Sex Once
You may have heard that its not possible to get chlamydia from a single sex act. If youve had sex with someone who has the infection, you could get it, too. One encounter is all it takes to pass on the bacteria, so get tested.
In up to 15 percent of women with untreated chlamydia, the infection spreads to the uterus and uterine tubes, leading to symptomatic pelvic inflammatory disease.
If youve had unprotected sex and are worried that you might have chlamydia, get tested. The test is easy and painless. Your doctor could take a sample of your cells with a cotton swab or ask you to pee in a cup. The sample is tested for chlamydia bacteria. If your doctor says you have chlamydia, dont worry. Its treatable.
You May Like: What Are The First Signs Of Chlamydia
What Are The Complications Of Oral Chlamydia
Untreated pharyngeal chlamydia could potentially infect a sexual partner. This could cause the sexual partner to experience genital symptoms, like vaginal discharge, urethral discharge, and a burning sensation while urinating. It also increases the chances of the chlamydia infection spreading back to you, infecting other parts of your body.
Untreated genital chlamydia that spreads can cause serious complications like infertility, pelvic inflammatory disease , urethritis, and epididymitis. It can also lead to an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, a pregnancy outside of the uterusthis condition is a medical emergency and may even cause death.
Get Lowest Chlamydia Test Cost $79
A survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2018 says that nearly 3 million people are diagnosed with Chlamydia in the United States every year. Nearly half of the people diagnosed with Chlamydia are women who fall under the 15 to 24 year age group.
As the symptoms of Chlamydia are not shown at an initial stage of infection, we highly recommend every sexually active young woman to get tested for Chlamydia at least once a year. We also recommend young men getting tested for Chlamydia as well.
The article below covers the chlamydia test cost, symptoms of chlamydia in men and symptoms of chlamydia in women, diagnosis, prevention, treatment, and how to get tested for chlamydia sitting at home.
Recommended Reading: Best Treatment For Chlamydia Infection
How Does This Infection Manifest Itself
The infection is due, generally, to a sexual relation unprotected. Symptoms do not present themselves in the same way from one person to another. It is even possible for an infected patient to feel nothing and show no signs of the disease. Therefore, it might be a bit complicated to spot the presence ofpathology in an individual.
You May Like: What Happens If Chlamydia Is Left Untreated
Chlamydia Can Be Prevented
The most effective way to avoid getting a sexually transmitted infection is to not have sex. However, if you wish to have sexual contact, you can reduce your risk of infection with these actions:
- Minimizing the number of partners with whom you have intimate contact
- Asking your partners to get screened for STDs before engaging in sexual activity
- Always using latex condoms when having intercourse of any kind
Additional reporting by Ingrid Strauch.
Recommended Reading: How Accurate Are Chlamydia Tests
How Can You Avoid Getting Oral Chlamydia
Practice safe sex consistentlyâsuch as using condoms during sex, including oral sexâto help lower your odds of contracting STIs like chlamydia from a sex partner. Making sure you regularly test for STIs is also important, especially if you may have been involved with an infected person. Though it might not directly prevent you from getting oral chlamydia, routine STI testing can be a powerful way to detect a chlamydial infection early onâbefore itâs been passed on to others or seriously affected your health. Because untreated chlamydia increases ones risk of long-term health complications, be sure to speak with your healthcare provider as soon as possible if you think you might be infected or if you test positive.
To easily check for 6 common STIs , consider our at-home STD Test for women or men.
1. Chan PA, Robinette A, Montgomery M, et al. Extragenital Infections Caused by Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae: A Review of the Literature. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2016 2016:5758387. doi:10.1155/2016/5758387
2. Vonck RA, Darville T, OConnell CM, Jerse AE. Chlamydial infection increases gonococcal colonization in a novel murine coinfection model. Infect Immun. 2011 79:1566-1577. doi:10.1128/IAI.01155-10
3. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease CDC Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. URL. Accessed January 31, 2020.
How Do You Avoid Getting Mouth Chlamydia
How to avoid getting infected the only guaranteed way to avoid chlamydia is not having sex, but this is not a suitable options for most people. To reduce your chance of getting chlamydia you can try the following:
- Choose sexual partners carefully however difficult, you should try to discuss any previous sexual history with a new partner before you first have sex
- Get tested before the start of a new relationship and do not have unprotected sex until you know your test results and your partners an extended STI test kit which tests for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIVand syphilis is recommended
- Use barrier contraception such as the male condom carefully and correctly always apply the condom before any sexual contact, including oral sex
- If you are diagnosed with chlamydia, always follow the advice about treatment very carefully try to make sure, if you have had chlamydia once, you dont get it again and keep getting tested regularly
- Use condoms at the same time as other contraceptives other contraceptives dont protect against STIs and using condoms alone as a method of contraception has a high failure rate. Women are advised to use a reliable contraceptive method to avoid an unplanned pregnancy, but to use condoms as well, to reduce the chance of acquiring an STI
Who is it at a higher risk of STIs like oral chlamydia? risk factors for chlamydia include:
- Multiple partners/frequent change of partner/overlapping partners
- Gay/bisexual men
Also Check: Herbal Remedies For Chlamydia And Gonorrhea
Chlamydia Can Harm Your Pregnancy Or Reproductive Health
Can chlamydia harm your unborn baby or your future reproductive health? Many people will say no, but thats not true. The infection can cause complications for both pregnancy and fertility.
Chlamydia can cause many complications for pregnant women and their babies. When the infection is left untreated, it can cause preterm delivery. Babies who are born prematurely can have problems with their lungs, hearts, or brains. The infection can spread to the baby, resulting in pneumonia, eye infections, and other complications. Due to these risks, pregnant women are routinely screened for chlamydia.
Chlamydia can cause many complications for pregnant women and their babies. When the infection is left untreated, it can cause preterm delivery.
Chlamydia can also cause complications for women who want to get pregnant. If untreated chlamydia spreads to other parts of the reproductive system, like the uterus, those tissues can be damaged. This can cause infertility. Damage to the uterine tubes could also result in an ectopic pregnancy. This means a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the uterus, usually inside the uterine tube. These pregnancies arent sustainable and may put the mothers life at risk.
There are many myths that are circulating about this common sexually transmitted infection. If youre concerned about chlamydia, see your doctor to get tested.
When Should I Be Concerned About Sinus Drainage
The first step in treating sinusitis is to identify the cause. If you have a history of allergies, it may be due to a recent change in weather or location. If you have been experiencing drainage from your nose and throat for more than a couple of days and it has been accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, sore throat, headache, cough, or post-nasal drip, then it would be wise to see your doctor.
Suppose you have been diagnosed with sinusitis and are experiencing drainage from your nose or throat but are not experiencing any other symptoms such as fever, raw throat, headache, cough, or post-nasal drip. In that case, waiting until your doctor gives the okay on how to get rid of sinus drainage in throat may be best.
Read Also: What Do They Give For Chlamydia
How Long Does It Take Throat Chlamydia To Go Away
Once a person begins treatment for throat chlamydia, the symptoms will generally being to ease over a period of several days. If you are diagnosed with chlamydia but your sexual partner has not been, it is important to take precautions to avoid spreading the infection. Generally, chlamydia will go away in about 5-7 days with antibiotic treatment, but if the symptoms persist after a week it is important for a person to follow up with their doctor to be retested.
Dont Miss: Over The Counter Chlamydia Test
Whats The Treatment For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is treated with antibiotics. If you take the treatment according to instructions, its over 95% effective at treating chlamydia.
- Youll be given a course of antibiotics for 3 or 7 days or sometimes up to two weeks.
- If theres a high chance you have chlamydia, treatment may be started before the results of the test are back. Youll always be given treatment if a sexual partner is found to have chlamydia.
- You may also need other treatment if complications have occurred.
- Tell the doctor or nurse if youre pregnant, or think you might be, or youre breastfeeding. This may affect the type of antibiotic youre given.
- Complementary therapies cant cure chlamydia.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take To Detect Chlamydia
Recommended Reading: Ways To Test For Chlamydia