Will I Need To Go Back To The Clinic
If you take your antibiotics correctly, you may not need to return to the clinic.
However, you will be advised to go back for another chlamydia test if:
- you had sex before you and your partner finished treatment
- you forgot to take your medication or didn’t take it properly
- your symptoms don’t go away
- you’re pregnant
If you’re under 25 years of age, you should be offered a repeat test for chlamydia 3 to 6 months after finishing your treatment because you’re at a higher risk of catching it again.
How To Help Partners Get Treatment
If you are not sure whether your sexual partner will seek treatment, ask your doctor for extra chlamydia medication . You can give it to them so they can be treated as soon as possible.
This is known as patient delivered partner therapy for chlamydia. Talk to your doctor to see if PDPT is right for you and your sexual partner.
What Medication Is Prescribed For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is a bacterial sexually transmitted infection . While most patients who have been treated for chlamydia are asymptomatic, it is imperative to be treated if you or a partner may have been exposed. The CDC recommended treatment for chlamydia is Azithromycin 1 g by mouth in a single dose or Doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice a daily for 7 day. These options are equally as effective and chosen based on preference and patience tolerance to antibiotics.
Read Also: How Long Does Chlamydia Take To Clear Up
Also Check: How Do Males Get Tested For Chlamydia
Other Topical Home Remedies To Ease Irritation And Pain
Herbal remedies in cream or ointment form and homemade diluted herbal baths may be fine to use on your own for topical relief. But speak to your doctor about ingesting any herbs especially if you are pregnant. In fact, it is in your best interest to consult a trained alternative medicine practitioner who can guide you on the right dosage and form for any of these remedies.
There are also anecdotal accounts of people finding relief with some of these remedies. However, these are not medicinal and will not treat the underlying infection. They may also not agree with all skin types, so use cautiously and do a small patch test first. If any of them is causing your condition to worsen, stop using that immediately.
- Ice cubes: Applying ice to painful sores or warts or even inflamed genitals may help bring some relief. Do not use them directly always wrap them in clean muslin or soft cotton bag first and crush them before use.
- Baking soda is known to be antimicrobial and may help soothe itchiness when used topically on a rash. Dilute with water before use
- Apple cider vinegar is antimicrobial and can be used in a bath or dabbed on affected skin with a clean cotton ball after diluting with water.34
- Lemon juice can be used the same way as ACV, in a bath or dabbed on topically to ease itching and inflammation as well as pain.
- Black tea bags soaked and cooled and then applied to the affected skin may also be beneficial, given the antibacterial properties of the tea.35
Parents Have A Role In Chlamydia Prevention
Parents can do two main things to help their kids avoid getting chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections , says Dombrowski. These two things are:
Also Check: Testicular Pain After Chlamydia Treatment
What Causes Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
A number of different microorganisms can cause or contribute to PID. The sexually transmitted pathogens C. trachomatis and N. gonorrhoeae have been implicated in a third to half of PID cases.2-8 However, endogenous microorganisms, including gram positive and negative anaerobic organisms and aerobic/facultative gram positive and negative rods and cocci, found at high levels in women with bacterial vaginosis, also have been implicated in the pathogenesis of PID.9-11 Newer data suggest that Mycoplasma genitalium may also play a role in PID and may be associated with milder symptoms 4,12,13 although studies have failed to demonstrate a significant increase in PID following detection of M. genitalium in the lower genital tract.14-16 Because of the polymicrobial nature of PID, broad-spectrum regimens that provide adequate coverage of likely pathogens are recommended.7
Is The Number Of Women In The United States Being Diagnosed With Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Increasing
Generally there have been several studies published suggesting overall declines in PID diagnosis in both hospital and ambulatory settings,20-22 however some of these same studies have noted a possible increase in PID starting in 2015.23While no single explanation exists for the previous declining trend, some have suggested that changes in sexually transmitted disease rates, increases in chlamydia screening coverage, availability of antimicrobial therapies that increase adherence to treatment, and more sensitive diagnostic technologies, could be impacting PID rates.24
Also Check: Where To Get Free Chlamydia Test
Treatment Of Chlamydia Is There A Cure For Chlamydia
Chlamydia can be cured easily and effectively with simple antibiotics once it has been diagnosed. The treatment can consist of a single dose or last up to 2 weeks depending on the type of chlamydia. The infected person should not have penetrative sex until receiving a negative Chlamydia test at an after-treatment check-up. Both partners must be treated for chlamydia and undergo re-testing after 34 months.
Can I Test Myself For Chlamydia At Home
Home testing kits for chlamydia are widely available and can be purchased at many pharmacies or online.
These kits typically require a urine sample or tissue swab, which you can collect at home and securely ship back to the lab to receive your results.
Some companies also include a free medical consultation with a doctor if your test results are positive to review your treatment options.
Read Also: Can Azo Test Strips Detect Chlamydia
The Costs Of Infertility
Treating chlamydia is easy, but for those who do not get treated or get treated too late, living with the damage caused by the infection can be hard.
Rabin has treated many women who never knew they had had chlamydia until they couldnt get pregnant due to blocked fallopian tubes. These women often wind up trying in vitro fertilization , which does not always succeed.
There are all kinds of costs involved for these women, say Rabin. There are emotional costs and physical costs. There are also financial costs with IVF. Its much better to not let the tubes get damaged, she says, and get pregnant the old-fashioned way.
How Does Chlamydia Spread
Chlamydia is spread when a person has unprotected sex with an infected person.
Because chlamydial infection often has no symptoms, many people do not realise they have the infection.
Even if you know a person well, you may not be able to tell they have an STI, because people can look healthy and still have chlamydia.
Remember, you can get chlamydia and other STIs from a new sexual partner who has in the past had sex with someone who is infected.
It can also be spread from a long-term partner who has had sex with other people.
Read Also: Chlamydia How Do You Get It
Preventing The Spread Of Infection
It is absolutely necessary to inform the partner if you get a positive test for Chlamydia. The sooner the partner is told the more effective and simple the treatment can be. Make sure your partner gets tested and receives the treatment as well and abstain from the intercourse until the treatment of both you and the partner is finished.
Female Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia
Some women develop PID, an infection that can damage the uterus, cervix, and ovaries. PID is a painful disease that often requires hospital treatment.
Infertility is also possible if chlamydia is left untreated because the fallopian tubes may become scarred.
During pregnancy, the infection can to babies during birth, which can cause eye infections and pneumonia in newborns.
Recommended Reading: Will 250 Mg Of Azithromycin Cure Chlamydia
What Do I Need To Do
- In NSW, PDPT is being offered at some Publicly Funded Sexual Health Clinics and some Family Planning Clinics call 1800 451 624 to find out where in NSW. If you live outside of NSW check with your doctor as its not available everywhere in Australia
- Make sure you read or print off these fact sheets for you and your partner/s. This one is for you and this one is for your partners
Submission And Collection Notes
Unsuitable specimens: Urine and seminal fluid are not acceptable specimen sites for Chlamydia trachomatis culture. Dry swabs and swabs in bacteriological transport media are not acceptable collection kits for Chlamydia trachomatis culture and testing will not be performed.
Do not use expired kits.
Follow the collection instructions in the Chlamydia trachomatis culture or Kit Instruction Sheet.
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Medicine For Chlamydia Over The Counter
Read Also: Can I Get Treatment For Chlamydia Over The Counter
How Chlamydias Passed On
Chlamydia is usually passed from one person to another through sexual contact.
Chlamydia is most commonly spread through:
- sharing sex toys that arent washed or covered with a new condom each time theyre used.
It can be spread by giving or receiving oral sex with someone who has chlamydia. The risk can be lowered by using a condom or a dam to cover the genitals.
If youre pregnant its possible to pass chlamydia to the baby .
You cant get chlamydia from kissing, hugging, sharing baths or towels, swimming pools, toilet seats or from sharing cups, plates or cutlery.
How To Get Rid Of Chlamydia With The Right Treatment Method
Chlamydia is one of the highly contagious sexually transmitted diseases around the world. In the US alone, an average of one out of ten young adults, mostly women, is likely to test positive of the infection.
STD patients often choose to fight the battle on their own. They try to find remedies that do not require showing up in a hospital even though theyre not entirely certain that they can get rid of the disease without proper treatment.
Fortunately, chlamydia is curable with the right treatment method. But, its also essential to raise awareness on the importance of knowing the risk factors of the disease and all the necessary preventive measures.
Lets discuss the proper ways of dealing with chlamydia and other STDs, and how to avoid catching them again, or at all.
First, heres everything we need to know about chlamydia.
Recommended Reading: Chlamydia And Pregnancy First Trimester
Diagnosis And Treatment Of Chlamydia Trachomatis Infection
KARL E. MILLER, M.D., University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Am Fam Physician. 2006 Apr 15 73:1411-1416.
SORT: KEY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRACTICE
Azithromycin or doxycycline is recommended for the treatment of uncomplicated genitourinary chlamydial infection.
SORT: KEY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRACTICE
Azithromycin or doxycycline is recommended for the treatment of uncomplicated genitourinary chlamydial infection.
Treatment Of Other Types
Two other conditions caused by Chlamydia trachomatis are uncommon in the United States, but very common worldwide:
- Lymphogranuloma venereum : Lymphogranuloma venereum is treated in the same way as standard genital chlamydia infections, but a longer course of therapy is used . Other care may also be required to treat genital ulcers or abscessed inguinal nodes if they occur.
- Trachoma: Trachoma is the leading preventable cause of blindness worldwide and often requires aggressive treatment with antibiotics and surgery addressing unsanitary living conditions is also necessary.
Read Also: What Type Of Antibiotic Is Used For Chlamydia
Home Remedies For Chlamydia In Women And In Men Best Natural Treatments:
Chlamydia is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections and illnesses. Most cures for it are pharmaceutical in nature. Therefore, they could be very costly and come with several unwanted side effects. Many people should choose to make use of some natural remedies for chlamydia instead, which can help to eliminate the infection up easily and quickly.
Although Chlamydia is among the mildest illnesses among sexually transmitted diseases, it could last long for women if the patients do not treat it immediately. The major infection area is the cervix and can lead to infertility in 10% 15% of unattended cases.theteacherpreneur.com/wp-content/languages/new/paper-writers.html The exact and official name of this infection is PID Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. Unluckily, for women, there is no way to diagnose the infection without a test, therefore it will be needed to go to a physician for making a test.
For men the symptoms will be more visible because there is likely a pain in the testicles going along with a burning and discharge when urinating.
Today, in this article, I will introduce some of the best home remedies for chlamydia in men and in women that are proven to work well for relieving the symptoms and troubles due to this health problem within a very short period of time. The home remedies are:
Recommended Reading: What Can Cause Chlamydia To Come Back
Educate Yourselves About The Infection
The old saying knowledge is power is certainly true when it comes to your sexual health. Learning as much as you can about your or your partnerâs STD will give you the information you need to navigate your relationship safely.
STIs fall into three distinct categories, including:
- Bacterial STIs â Sexually transmitted bacterial infections include chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. These are typically treated with antibiotics. Sometimes, one dose of antibiotics is sufficient, although some cases may require more.
- Viral STIs â Viral STIs include hepatitis B, HPV, herpes, and HIV. These infections arenât curable, but they are manageable with treatment. If you have a viral STI, itâs important to seek treatment right away before your STI turns into a more serious STD.
- Parasites â Parasites can also cause STIs. Trichomoniasis is an example of a parasitic STI. Parasitic infections are often treated using antibiotics, insecticides, and other means.
Across all three of these categories, the most common STIs/STDs include:
- Human papillomavirus
Your specific treatment regimen will depend on the type of infection you have. Some bacterial infections, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia, will sometimes occur together.
Don’t Miss: What Antibiotics Cure Chlamydia And Gonorrhea
What Happens If I Get Chlamydia When Im Pregnant
- Chlamydia during pregnancy has been associated in very rare cases with problems such as premature birth, and infection of the uterus lining after the birth.
- It can be passed to the baby during the birth and before the baby is born. This can cause inflammation and discharge in the babys eye and/or pneumonia.
- You may be offered a chlamydia test as part of your antenatal care.
- Chlamydia can be treated with antibiotics when youre pregnant and when youre breastfeeding. The antibiotics wont harm the baby, but do tell the doctor or nurse that youre pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Youll be advised to have another test after you complete your treatment.
Dont Miss: How Long Until Chlamydia Goes Away
Just Diagnosed Next Steps After Testing Positive For Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia
If youve just found out that you have gonorrhea or chlamydia, you may be trying to figure out what to do next. Here are the three most important steps that you can take:
WHY?Many people with gonorrhea and chlamydia dont have symptoms. Why does this matter? Because an untreated infection can lead to serious and permanent health problems, even if you never have symptoms. Gonorrhea and chlamydia can be cured with the right medicine from your doctor. Just make sure you take all of your medicine exactly as your doctor tells you to.
WHERE?Your regular doctor can prescribe antibiotics to cure the STD. But if you dont have insurance or want to see someone else for treatment, there are other low-cost or free options. You can get tested and treated at your local health departments STD clinic, a family planning clinic, a student health center, or an urgent care clinic. You can also find a clinic using GetTested and ask if they offer treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- In women, untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to health problems like ectopic pregnancy or infertility .
- In men, chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause a painful condition in the tubes attached to the testicles. In rare cases, this may prevent him from being able to have children.
- Untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea may also increase your chances of getting or giving HIV the virus that causes AIDS.
Also Check: Medicine To Clear Up Chlamydia
Getting Treated For Chlamydia And Often Gonorrhea
If you have your own doctor, he will prescribe the antibiotics you need to treat chlamydia. If you dont have your own doctor, you can often find free or low-cost care at either a Planned Parenthood site or a community health clinic.
Listen carefully to the instructions for taking the medicine that you are given by the doctor or other healthcare provider, and follow them closely.
Ask questions if you dont understand something. Also, if you have other questions as you take your medicine, you can always call the pharmacist for help. They are often easier to reach than the doctor.
If you test positive for chlamydia, your healthcare provider is likely to also recommend that you be treated for gonorrhea. This is because the cost of treating gonorrhea is less than the cost of testing for the infection.