What Happens If Chlamydia Isnt Treated
Only some people who have chlamydia will have complications. If chlamydia is treated early, its unlikely to cause any long-term problems. But, without proper treatment, the infection can spread to other parts of the body. The more times you have chlamydia the more likely you are to get complications.
- If you have a vulva, chlamydia can spread to other reproductive organs causing pelvic inflammatory disease . This can lead to long-term pelvic pain, blocked fallopian tubes, infertility and ectopic pregnancy .
- In people with a vulva, chlamydia can also cause pain and inflammation around the liver, though this is rare. This usually gets better with the correct antibiotic treatment.
What Does A Chlamydia Test Involve
- You may be asked to provide a urine sample. Before having this test, youre advised not to pass urine for 12 hours.
- A doctor or nurse may take a swab from the entrance of the urethra .
- If you have symptoms of conjunctivitis swabs will be used to collect a sample of discharge from your eye.
A swab looks a bit like a cotton bud but is smaller and rounded. It sometimes has a small plastic loop on the end rather than a cotton tip. Its wiped over the parts of the body that could be infected. This only takes a few seconds and isnt painful, though it may be uncomfortable for a moment.
Cervical screening and routine blood tests dont detect chlamydia.
If youre not sure whether youve been tested for chlamydia, just ask.
What Can Happen If Chlamydia Isnt Treated
Untreated chlamydia can put your health at risk. Make an appointment with your provider immediately if you notice any symptoms of chlamydia, and get regular STI screenings to avoid complications later.
Complications of chlamydia for people with vaginas
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease . PID is a serious condition that requires hospitalization. It can occur when an untreated STI, like chlamydia, damages your reproductive organs. PID can lead to infertility and chronic pelvic pain. It can also cause an ectopic pregnancy, which is life-threatening for the fetus and potentially deadly for the mother or gestational parent, too.
- Pregnancy complications. An untreated infection can lead to pre-term delivery. Also, if youre pregnant and have chlamydia, you can pass the infection on to your newborn. Babies born with chlamydia may have pneumonia or conjunctivitis that could lead to blindness if not treated.
Complications of chlamydia for people with penises
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Epididymitis. Infection can spread to the testicles and the tube that carries sperm to your testicles , causing symptoms like pain, swelling and tenderness in your testicles.
- Reduced fertility. Chlamydia can harm your sperm, negatively impacting your ability to conceive.
Complications of chlamydia that can affect all genders
Untreated chlamydia can:
Also Check: How Can A Man Know If He Has Chlamydia
What Happens If I Get Chlamydia When Im Pregnant
- Chlamydia during pregnancy has been associated in very rare cases with problems such as premature birth, and infection of the uterus lining after the birth.
- It can be passed to the baby during the birth and before the baby is born. This can cause inflammation and discharge in the babys eye and/or pneumonia.
- You may be offered a chlamydia test as part of your antenatal care.
- Chlamydia can be treated with antibiotics when youre pregnant and when youre breastfeeding. The antibiotics wont harm the baby, but do tell the doctor or nurse that youre pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Youll be advised to have another test after you complete your treatment.
Recommended Reading: When To Get Tested For Chlamydia After Treatment
How Do You Get Treated For Chlamydia Without Going To The Doctor
The recommended treatment for chlamydia is a single dose of azithromycin 1 g taken orally or doxycycline 100 mg taken orally twice a day for 7 days. Alternative chlamydia treatments include: erythromycin base 500 mg taken 4 times a day for 7 days. erythromycin ethylsucciante 800 mg taken 4 times a day for 7 days.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Test For Chlamydia In Men
Major Symptoms Of Chlamydia And Related Complications
Medical history says that Chlamydia disease does not report any symptom so people often think about does chlamydia go away forever. Almost 80% females and 50% males stay infected without any related symptom. And in case if the symptoms start appearing, they will be observable only after 2 to 3 weeks of exposure.
Due to this trouble, sufferers are not able to receive right treatment and it leads to several issues that are more dangerous ahead. Studies reveal that almost 40% of the untreated women face pelvic inflammatory disease as the next stage of Chlamydia and this state is highly painful. The untreated female patients can face trouble in pregnancy or in some more critical cases, they can have infertility issues.
In case of males, Chlamydia generally starts from urethra and its symptoms may come or go with time. Some people can feel its symptoms during the first urination of day you can identify them as:
- Painful burning at the time of urination.
- Some people may face scrotal pain.
- It can also appear in form of Reiters Syndrome that is a kind of arthritis and usually cause major damage to eyes and body joints.
- Prostate inflammation issues.
- Infertility is one more dangerous issue when infection gets spread from urethra to testicles.
In case of women as well as men, the major complications due to Chlamydia Bacterium are:
- Reiters syndrome that is a kind of reactive arthritis.
- Genital Lymphogranuloma.
- Sore throat or pharyngitis.
- Pinkeye or Conjunctivitis.
What’s The Treatment For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is treated with antibiotics. If you take the treatment according to instructions, its over 95% effective at treating chlamydia.
- Youll be given a course of antibiotics for 3 or 7 days or sometimes up to two weeks.
- If theres a high chance you have chlamydia, treatment may be started before the results of the test are back. Youll always be given treatment if a sexual partner is found to have chlamydia.
- You may also need other treatment if complications have occurred.
- Tell the doctor or nurse if youre pregnant, or think you might be, or youre breastfeeding. This may affect the type of antibiotic youre given.
- Complementary therapies cant cure chlamydia.
Also Check: How Quickly Does Chlamydia Show Up In Females
Can You Pass Chlamydia On Without Symptoms
Even if you are asymptomatic with Chlamydia, it is still possible to pass on the disease. The bacterial infection transmits via bodily fluids during sexual activity, therefore it is vitally important to practise safe sex and be tested regularly to ensure that you are clean of sexually transmitted infections. Visit our website to learn more about home testing.
How Can I Tell My Partner Will They Think I’ve Cheated On Them
You may feel embarrassed, scared or angry. However it is important and respectful to let your partner know as soon as possible so they can get tested and treated. Remember that chlamydia often has no symptoms, so a diagnosis doesn’t necessarily mean the infection was caught recently. You may not be sure when you were exposed. Many people are surprised how supportive their partner is, and how they appreciate being confided in.
Don’t Miss: Do Guys Always Have Symptoms Chlamydia
Can Stds Caused By Viruses Go Away On Their Own
Viral STDs are the only STDs that have the potential to clear up on their own. Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and HPV, for instance, may go away without any treatment or they may continue to cause health problems. Other like HIV and herpes, stay in the body for life.
Some people who contract hepatitis B or C will clear the virus from their system without any treatment. People whose immune systems dont clear the virus develop chronic hepatitis, in which the virus later causes liver disease and even liver cancer.
There are more than 150 strains of HPV, and many do clear up on their own without causing any symptoms. However, other strains of HPV dont go away and can cause genital warts or certain kinds of cancer.
As for HIV and herpes, there is no known cure for either of these STDs. However, while they are incurable, that doesnt mean you shouldnt go to the doctor or seek a diagnosis or treatment as soon as possible. With both of these STDs, early detection and treatment are essential. Antiviral medication for herpes can lessen the severity and duration of outbreaks, increasing comfort for the person infected with herpes, and reducing the risk of transmitting the virus to a partner. Antiviral medication given to people infected with HIV significantly reduces the complications of the infection, reduces the likelihood of spreading the disease to a partner, delays the onset of AIDS, and lengthens lifespan to near-normal.
Getting Treated For Chlamydia At Broadgate Gp
Whether youre a man or a woman, being regularly tested or screened for chlamydia is important to ensure youre in full health. Should you be sexually active or if youve recently gotten with a new partner then getting a test can help to make sure both of you are clear or are treated should one or both of you test positive.
Also Check: Where Can I Be Tested For Chlamydia
Prevention And Treatment: Does Chlamydia Go Away For Good
If you are still worried about whether Chlamydia can be treated or not then here is one important news for you. Chlamydia can be easily cured with fixed dose of oral pills. But note that, as many people are not able to find any symptom of Chlamydia disease in their body so it is left untreated in most of the cases hence, the level of complications keep on increasing. If you want to stay safe then best trick is to go for routine check up.
Note that, risks of Chlamydia disease usually increases if you use to have sex with more than one partner. As this disease keep on continuing without symptoms so it gets easily transmitted from one unaware person to another unaware person. Condoms are most essential element to stop spreading the viruses.
Once you come to know about the presence of Chlamydia bacterium then prefer to visit doctor as soon as possible, it can be treated with antibiotics in babies, males as well as females. During treatment, you need to avoid sex till the time your doctors recommends it again.
What Is The Difference Between Chlamydia In The Throat And Streptococcus Infections
Both chlamydia in the throat and streptococcus throat are bacterial infections that affect the mouth and throat area.
The main difference is that they are caused by a different bacterium. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteria called chlamydia trachomatis and strep throat is caused by bacteria streptococcus pyogenes.
This means that although they share some of the same symptoms, such as pain and soreness in the throat, inflammation of the lymph nodes and fever, they also have symptoms that differ. For example, chlamydia often presents as white spots towards the back of the throat and strep throat causes red spots. Aside from this difference, itâs difficult to distinguish the difference between the two.
A swab test is required to accurately diagnose both.
Chlamydia is treated using either doxycycline or azithromycin, and strep throat infections are treated using penicillin and erythromycin antibiotics.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is It To Get Tested For Chlamydia
How To Help Partners Get Treatment
If you are not sure whether your sexual partner will seek treatment, ask your doctor for extra chlamydia medication . You can give it to them so they can be treated as soon as possible.
This is known as patient delivered partner therapy for chlamydia. Talk to your doctor to see if PDPT is right for you and your sexual partner.
Why Is It Important To Treat Chlamydia
If left untreated chlamydia is unlikely to go away. It can be passed onto sexual partners and can cause serious harm. Women can get cervicitis or pelvic inflammatory disease. This can result in permanent damage to the fallopian tubes, which may lead to infertility or ectopic pregnancy. Chlamydia also can cause a reactive arthritis. Men can suffer with urethritis , this can spread to the contents of the scrotal sac – epididymis and testicles. This causes pain, and in severe cases infertility. Men can also get a reactive arthritis.
Read Also: Can You Buy Chlamydia Pills Over The Counter
You Can Catch Chlamydia If Youve Only Had Sex Once
You may have heard that its not possible to get chlamydia from a single sex act. If youve had sex with someone who has the infection, you could get it, too. One encounter is all it takes to pass on the bacteria, so get tested.
In up to 15 percent of women with untreated chlamydia, the infection spreads to the uterus and uterine tubes, leading to symptomatic pelvic inflammatory disease.
If youve had unprotected sex and are worried that you might have chlamydia, get tested. The test is easy and painless. Your doctor could take a sample of your cells with a cotton swab or ask you to pee in a cup. The sample is tested for chlamydia bacteria. If your doctor says you have chlamydia, dont worry. Its treatable.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chlamydia
Yes! It is curable for both men and women and it is one of the common diseases to be passed on sexually. The hardest thing is noticing the infection itself as it remains symptomless so it can be difficult to realise you have it in the first place.
Most people dont show signs of the infection and it rare for people to recognise symptoms as the infection. If you do get symptoms of the sexually transmitted disease then they usually appear one to three weeks after having unprotected sex with an infected person. It is possible for symptoms to develop months after the initial infection and symptoms can come and go.
Yes! Chlamydial conjunctivitis is redness and swelling of the clear membrane that lines the inside of your eyelids and covers the white of your eyes. In some cases the infection when in the eye is known as pink eye. Although relatively harmless in adults, eye infection in newborn babies can lead to blindness.
Its estimated that about 80% of women and 50% of men wont show sign of having the sexually transmitted infection. With the infection it is possible for symptoms to come and go and they can often be confused with symptoms of other illnesses.
Don’t Miss: What To Take For Chlamydia
How Quickly Do Symptoms Show
In many cases, chlamydia symptoms do not show up at all, making it possible for the infection to lie dormant in the body and cause long-term side effects when not treated.
If someone with chlamydia does experience symptoms, the time it takes for them to show up may vary.
For most people, though, it takes about 7-21 days after having unprotected sex with an infected partner. However, it can take longer.
How Does Chlamydia Affect A Pregnant Woman
Chlamydia in pregnant women can be passed on to the baby causing serious complications in the newborn such as ophthalmia neonatorum and pneumonia. Untreated chlamydia in pregnant women is also likely to cause preterm labor . Chlamydia infection is also associated with a high risk of ectopic pregnancy .
Pregnant women should get tested for chlamydia at their first prenatal visit because testing and treatment are the best ways to prevent complications.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Meds For Chlamydia
How Do You Get Chlamydia
Chlamydia is a bacterial infection. The bacteria are usually spread through sex or contact with infected genital fluids .
You can get chlamydia through:
- sharing sex toys that are not washed or covered with a new condom each time they’re used
It can also be passed by a pregnant woman to her baby.
Chlamydia cannot be passed on through casual contact, such as kissing and hugging, or from sharing baths, towels, swimming pools, toilet seats or cutlery.
How Do You Avoid Getting Mouth Chlamydia
How to avoid getting infected the only guaranteed way to avoid chlamydia is not having sex, but this is not a suitable options for most people. To reduce your chance of getting chlamydia you can try the following:
- Choose sexual partners carefully however difficult, you should try to discuss any previous sexual history with a new partner before you first have sex
- Get tested before the start of a new relationship and do not have unprotected sex until you know your test results and your partners an extended STI test kit which tests for chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIVand syphilis is recommended
- Use barrier contraception such as the male condom carefully and correctly always apply the condom before any sexual contact, including oral sex
- If you are diagnosed with chlamydia, always follow the advice about treatment very carefully try to make sure, if you have had chlamydia once, you dont get it again and keep getting tested regularly
- Use condoms at the same time as other contraceptives other contraceptives dont protect against STIs and using condoms alone as a method of contraception has a high failure rate. Women are advised to use a reliable contraceptive method to avoid an unplanned pregnancy, but to use condoms as well, to reduce the chance of acquiring an STI
Who is it at a higher risk of STIs like oral chlamydia? risk factors for chlamydia include:
- Multiple partners/frequent change of partner/overlapping partners
- Gay/bisexual men
You May Like: What Happens If You Have Chlamydia And Gonorrhea