For People With Vaginas
It’s important to remember that many STI often have no symptoms. Get tested regularly and before each new sexual partner.
Figure 1. Symptoms map for people with vaginas
- Itchy skin: Genital herpes / pubic lice / scabies
- Pain in your testicles: Chlamydia / gonorrhea
- Warts on penis, scrotum and thighs: HPV
- Itchy and painful blisters on skin/sores: Genital herpes
- Light brown insects or white eggs in the pubic hair, bluish marks on skin: Pubic lice
- Rectal pain and bleeding: Chlamydia / gonorrhea / LGV
- Dark urine or pale stools: HBV and HCV
- Discharge from anal area: Chlamydia / gonorrhea / LGV
- Open sores or chancres on genitals, anus or mouth / throat: LGV / HSV / syphilis
- Painful swollen glands : Genital herpes / HIV / LGV / syphilis
- Burning during urination: Chlamydia / gonorrhea / trichomoniasis
- Discharge from penis: Chlamydia / gonorrhea / trichomoniasis / LGV
- Burning or itching around the opening of penis: Chlamydia / gonorrhea / trichomoniasis
How Do I Know If I Have It
As most people do not have any early symptoms, it is often difficult to tell whether you are infected. For those people who do get symptoms, these may include:
- Men and women – Burning or painful sensation when urinating.
- Women – Discharge or “mucus” coming out of the vagina, back pain, unusual pain during sex and bleeding between periods.
- Men – Discharge or “mucus” coming out of the penis, inflamed or swollen testicles and/or discomfort around the tip of the penis.
Chlamydia During Pregnancy: What Moms Need To Know
Getting a sexually transmitted infection comes with more than just immediate symptoms. There is a real concern about chlamydia and pregnancy.
Can chlamydia affect pregnancy? The answer is yes, it can. So if you have this very common STI, you need to be prepared with the proper testing and treatment. Weve gone into detail about pregnancy with chlamydia so you can get prepared and have a healthy pregnancy.
Recommended Reading: Would You Know If You Had Chlamydia
How Do You Know If You Have Chlamydia
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you can get chlamydia via unprotected oral, vaginal, or anal sex with someone who has it.
“It’s entirely possible to have chlamydia and not know it, because most people are asymptomatic. Even if you do have symptoms, they may not appear until several weeks after your sexual encounter,” says Kakani. The symptoms may persist or disappear in a few days, but that may not mean the infection has gone. The infection can still harm you if you are asymptomatic.
The symptoms of chlamydia can vary among women and men.
If you have a vagina, you may experience symptoms such as:
- Vaginal discharge or bleeding in between menstrual periods
- Pain or a burning sensation while urinating
- Abdominal pain
If you have a penis, you may experience symptoms such as:
- Unusual discharge from the penis
- Pain or a burning sensation while urinating
- Pain or swelling in the genitals
- Increased frequency of urination
- Rectal discharge or bleeding
You can also get chlamydia in the throat, which can give you a sore throat however, it often doesn’t cause any symptoms at all.
While all sexually active people could get chlamydia, it is especially common among women between the ages of 15 and 24, according to the CDC. The CDC recommends that you get tested for chlamydia every year, especially if you are:
Hpv And Genital Warts
HPV is very common. Three out of four women will have an HPV infection at some time in their lives. Most of the time, HPV infection is not serious, has no symptoms and goes away without treatment. There is an HPV vaccine.
Some types of HPV cause genital warts, while more serious types can lead to cervical cancer. Genital warts are usually spread by skin-to-skin contact during vaginal and anal sex. It may take from four weeks to eight months, or longer, for warts to appear after contact with the virus.
Genital warts are painless bumps that may appear near the opening of the urethra , under the foreskin, on the shaft of the penis, near the vagina opening, and inside the anus.
Sometimes warts never appear or you can’t see them.
Also Check: How Long Until Chlamydia Makes You Infertile
How Is Chlamydia Diagnosed
There are a number of diagnostic tests for chlamydia, including nucleic acid amplification tests , cell culture, and others. NAATs are the most sensitive tests, and can be performed on easily obtainable specimens such as vaginal swabs or urine.43
Vaginal swabs, either patient- or clinician-collected, are the optimal specimen to screen for genital chlamydia using NAATs in women urine is the specimen of choice for men, and is an effective alternative specimen type for women.43 Self-collected vaginal swab specimens perform at least as well as other approved specimens using NAATs.44 In addition, patients may prefer self-collected vaginal swabs or urine-based screening to the more invasive endocervical or urethral swab specimens.45 Adolescent girls may be particularly good candidates for self-collected vaginal swab- or urine-based screening because pelvic exams are not indicated if they are asymptomatic.
NAATs have demonstrated improved sensitivity and specificity compared with culture for the detection of C. trachomatis at rectal and oropharyngeal sites.40 Certain NAAT test platforms have been cleared by FDA for these non-genital sites and data indicate NAAT performance on self-collected rectal swabs is comparable to clinician-collected rectal swabs. 40
What Should I Think About And Do Before I Have Sex
- Talk about safer sex and STI testing with your partner.
- If you or your partner could get pregnant but aren’t ready to be parents:
- talk about contraception with your partner
- use a tool like It’s a plan to find out the best contraception for you and make an appointment with your health care provider
Text box 6
Hepatitis B and HPV can be prevented by a vaccine.
Also Check: If You Take Pills For Chlamydia
Getting Tested For Chlamydia
To receive treatment for chlamydia you will need a diagnosis. If you are experiencing symptoms, or if you have had unprotected sex with someone who has chlamydia, its likely that you will be treated before you receive your test results.
In most cases, a test will be carried out and treatment will commence when the test results come back positive. The test for chlamydia is quick and painless. For women it usually involves a swab of the vagina for men it usually involves giving a urine sample.
To get tested for free, you should visit your GP or a sexual health clinic. If youre under 25 youll also be able to benefit from the National Chlamydia Screening Programme , which operates out of some pharmacies, colleges and youth centres. In certain areas, the NCSP also provides free home test kits to under-25s, which can be ordered online .
How Is Chlamydia Spread
In nearly all cases chlamydia is transmitted through sexual contact.
- You can get chlamydia by having unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex with someone who has chlamydia.
- You can still get chlamydia even if the person you’re having sex with does not ejaculate .
- Chlamydia can also be spread through other types of sexual contact such as mutual masturbation, fingering or the use of sex toys.
- One simple way to protect yourself is by using a condom when engaging in sexual intercourse.
Another way of transmitting chlamydia is from mother to baby during birth. If this occurs, your baby may develop an eye or lung infection. This needs urgent treatment.
If you are sexually active, get regular STI checks. If you think you may have been exposed to chlamydia, see your doctor for an extra STI check.
Also Check: How To Test Chlamydia In Males
Early Signs Among Women
- May vary in consistency, or color
Its Possible To Get Chlamydia Through Oral Or Anal Sex
You may have heard that its not possible to get chlamydia through oral or anal sex, but this is just a myth. If you have unprotected vaginal, oral, or anal sex, you could get chlamydia.
While its possible to get chlamydia through any of these sex acts, the risk varies depending on the type of sex youre having. Chlamydia isnt commonly passed through cunnilingus, but its possible. The infection is commonly passed through fellatio and anal sex.
No matter what type of sex youre having, its a good idea to use protection. This may include dental dams or condoms, depending on the sex act. Other types of contraception, like birth control pills and IUDs, dont provide any protection against chlamydia and other sexually transmitted infections.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Tested For Chlamydia
What Are The Symptoms Of Oral Chlamydia
Chlamydia is an asymptomatic infection, so you could have the STI without knowing about it. However the cellular lining in the throat and mouth can become infected and the most common sign is a painful and severe sore throat. People who notice this sign often dismiss it as a common cold or other viral infections and do not make the connection between the unprotected oral sex that they participated in and this symptom. Along with a sore throat you could notice a low fever, coughing and swollen lymph nodes. Its important to get regularly tested for STIs when you have had unprotected sex, especially if this is with a new partner.
Can You Catch Chlamydia By Sharing Sex Toys
Yes, chlamydia can be passed on by sharing sex toys, like many other STIs. You can minimise this risk by covering sex toys with a new condom each time they are used and washing them between partners.
Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted infection spread in infected genital fluids. It is the most commonly diagnosed STI in the UK in 2019, there were over 229000 new cases in England. It is particularly prevalent amongst sexually active teenagers and young adults but anyone can be at risk.
If youre concerned about chlamydia and other STIs, read on. Our doctors have put together a guide to chlamydia and practising safe sex.
You May Like: How Would I Know If I Had Chlamydia
How Can I Prevent The Spread Of Chlamydia And Other Stis
Ask your healthcare provider for more information about the following safe sex practices:
What Are The Symptoms Of Chlamydia Infection
Most people have no symptoms at all. If you do get symptoms, you will usually get them about 7-14 days after having unprotected sex.
For women – you may have:
- abnormal bleeding from the vagina including bleeding or spotting after sex
- an abnormal discharge from the vagina
- stinging or burning when passing urine or pain during sex
A pregnant woman who has chlamydia may:
- have a higher chance of having a miscarriage or premature baby
- have a baby with lung and eye infections
For men – you may have:
- a watery or milky discharge from the penis
- redness at the opening of the penis
- stinging or burning when passing urine
- pain and swelling in one or both testicles
Other Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia In All People
- Conjunctivitis, spread by touching the infected area and then touching the hand to the eye
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the rectum , if the chlamydia is from anal sex
- Varied symptoms, such as joint and eye inflammation, caused by bacterial infection
- Lymphogranuloma venereum, or LGV. This is caused by a type of chlamydia that is usually rare in the United States, but it is becoming more common in men who have sex with men. It causes open sores in the genital area, headache, fever, fatigue, and swelling of the lymph nodes in the groin. It also causes proctitis in people who get chlamydia through anal sex.
It Doesnt Hurt To Get Checked Out
So, can STD symptoms appear the next day? Typically not. With that said, you should see a doctor if youre showing any symptoms that could indicate an STD.
Theres no harm in going in for a checkup. Knowing whats going on is always more comforting than sitting around and worrying about whether or not youre sick. If youre in need of an examination, look at our site to find out how to get checked in.
Recommended Reading: Azithromycin For Gonorrhea And Chlamydia
What Can Happen If Chlamydia Isnt Treated
Untreated chlamydia can put your health at risk. Make an appointment with your provider immediately if you notice any symptoms of chlamydia, and get regular STI screenings to avoid complications later.
Complications of chlamydia for people with vaginas
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease . PID is a serious condition that requires hospitalization. It can occur when an untreated STI, like chlamydia, damages your reproductive organs. PID can lead to infertility and chronic pelvic pain. It can also cause an ectopic pregnancy,which is life-threatening for the fetus and potentially deadly for the mother or gestational parent, too.
- Pregnancy complications. An untreated infection can lead to pre-term delivery. Also, if youre pregnant and have chlamydia, you can pass the infection on to your newborn. Babies born with chlamydia may have pneumonia or conjunctivitis that could lead to blindness if not treated.
Complications of chlamydia for people with penises
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Epididymitis. Infection can spread to the testicles and the tube that carries sperm to your testicles , causing symptoms like pain, swelling and tenderness in your testicles.
- Reduced fertility. Chlamydia can harm your sperm, negatively impacting your ability to conceive.
Complications of chlamydia that can affect all genders
Untreated chlamydia can:
Condoms And Dental Dams
Most STI can be prevented by using a condom or dental dam during vaginal, anal or oral sex. You can buy condoms or dental dams at drug stores or health clinics without a prescription. The use of pre-lubricated condoms or added personal lubricants can help prevent the risk of a condom breaking.
Other things to think about:
- Check the expiry date on a condom before using one and make sure the packaging and the condom itself don’t have any holes or tears.
- Never use a condom more than once, and don’t use 2 condoms at the same time as that can cause breakage.
- It’s recommended to use lubricants with condoms, but be sure to use the right type. Vaseline and other oil-based lubricants destroy latex.
Also Check: How Does Chlamydia Affect Men
Chlamydia Is A Serious Infection
Chlamydia is Americas most common bacterial sexually transmitted infection. Every year, an estimated 2.86 million infections occur. Since its so common, you may assume that its no big deal. However, chlamydia can be a very serious infection.
Chlamydia is very common, but that doesnt mean it cant have a serious impact on your health. The infection can cause a number of long-term complications. In up to 15 percent of women with untreated chlamydia, the infection spreads to the uterus and uterine tubes, leading to symptomatic pelvic inflammatory disease. In addition, some women experience subclinical inflammation of the upper genital tract. This can cause permanent damage to the affected tissues.
/5omicron Severity And Infectivity
As compared to the previous variant of coronavirus, Omicron is less dangerous. Data collected from across the globe during the peak time of the Omicron infection suggests that symptoms of this mutant variant are similar to that of common cold. In reality, the virus does not even lead to severe respiratory problems. In some cases of Omicron infection, patients only witnessed stomach issues or mild cold-like symptoms. However, Omicron is much more contagious than previous variants of the coronavirus.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get Tested For Chlamydia For Free
Symptoms Of Chlamydia In Men:
- Watery, milky or pus kind of a discharge from the penis.
- Painful or burning sensation while peeing.
- Swelling and/or pain in one and both the testicles.
- An itchy or painful butthole or anus.
- Bleeding and/or discharge from the anus.
- Sweeping around and/or in the anus.
- Infection in eyes causing, discharge, redness and/or itching.
When Should I See My Healthcare Provider
When it comes to chlamydia, its a good idea to be proactive. Speak with your healthcare provider about your risks of infection. Make a plan to get screened regularly for STIs based on your providers recommendations for how often you should be tested. Make an appointment with your healthcare provider if your partner tests positive for chlamydia or if you notice any signs or symptoms that you may be infected.
You May Like: Does Chlamydia Go Away For Guys