Causes Of Chlamydia In Cats
As told before, chlamydia in cats is caused by a bacterium called Chlamydophola felis. This bacteria occupy and infect the conjunctiva cells that leads to inflammation and ocular discharge.
At first it only affects one eye, but within a few days it might possibly affect both eyes. If your cats have some dirt on its eyes, you can follow these 6 simple steps to clean your cats eyes at home.
Then when the inflammation gets worse, it will include severe swelling and redness in the conjunctiva. After that, a thicker yellowish liquid will also appear. Another possible symptom is mild fever.
The transmission of this disease happens between cats. Cats in all ages are prone to this disease, but it mostly attacks young kittens at the age of 5 to 12 weeks. Cats living in a rescue center will also possibly get infected. Infection will occur once the infected cats are in contact with other cats.
This disease is serious enough if it is not treated well, but the bacterium can be killed simply by common disinfectants and it does not survive for a long time in the environment.
How Is It Contracted
Chlamydia is transmitted primarily through sexual activity. The following are the most common ways:
- unprotected intercourse with an infected partner
- oral sex, although a less common cause of infection as bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis targets the genital area rather than the throat. Although it is possible theoretically, the cases of infestation from mouth-to-penis and penis-to-mouth contact are rare
- vagina, cervix, anus, penis or mouth contacting infected secretions or fluids which means that contraction can occur even if the penis or tongue does not enter the vagina or anus
- bacteria can travel from the vaginal area to the anus or rectum of women while wiping with toilet paper
- sharing sex toys
- from mother to the newborn during vaginal childbirth through the infected birth channel
- infection can be transferred on fingers from the genitals to other parts of the body
Chlamydia is not contracted through simple kissing, handshaking, any casual contacts, sharing baths, towels and cups as well as from toilet seats.
Chlamydia trachomatis, an obligate intracellular human pathogen, is one of four bacterial species in the genus Chlamydia. 3D illustration
How Is Chlamydia Transmitted
Chlamydia is a bacterial infection caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. Itâs also considered a sexually transmitted infection , which means that it can spread between sex partners through any kind of sexual contact. This contact is not limited to vaginal intercourse you can also contract oral chlamydia through oral sex, although it is a less common cause of Chlamydia trachomatis infections. Because sexual contact increases your risk, itâs a good idea to know if you have an STD before you have intercourse with a new partner.
You can also spread chlamydia to different parts of your body without sexual contact. If you have a chlamydia infection in your vagina, you could spread it to your anus just by the act of wiping after you use the bathroom. You could also transmit a chlamydia infection to your eye, simply with hand-to-eye contact. Keep in mind that this form of eye infection is rare, but can still occur if your hands come in contact with the bacteria that causes chlamydia infections. And if youâre pregnant, you can give the infection to your unborn baby passing through your cervix.
In short, there are many different ways you can contract or spread chlamydia. To protect your sexual health and the health of your sexual partner, get tested for chlamydia before beginning any new relationship.
Don’t Miss: Can Chlamydia Hurt Your Stomach
What Is Pink Eye
Conjunctivitis, often called “pink eye,” is an inflammation of the conjunctiva, the clear tissue that lines the inside surface of your eyelid and outer coating of your eye. This tissue helps keep your eyelid and eyeball moist.
Pink eye can occur in one or both eyes. Pink eye that occurs in both eyes tends to be caused by a virus.
Male Difficulties Of Untreated Chlamydia
Guy can likewise experience complications when chlamydia is left neglected. The epididymis television that holds the testicles in place might end up being swollen, triggering discomfort. This is called epididymitis.
The infection can likewise infect the prostate gland, causing a fever, agonizing intercourse, as well as discomfort in the reduced back. An additional possible issue is male chlamydial urethritis.
These are simply some of the most typical complications of untreated chlamydia, which is why it is necessary to get clinical focus as soon as possible. Most people who get treatment quickly have no lasting clinical troubles. Chlamydia Eye Symptoms
Link to next post: Chlamydia Gram Stain
Hi there, Im Melissa and welcome to Genier. Im not ashamed to admit that Ive dealt with an STD before and recovered. It was not a pleasant experience but Im glad I got myself tested. If theres one message that you can take away from my site is get tested today! Stay safe.
Recommended Reading: How Soon After Chlamydia Treatment Can I Retest
How Can I Feel Better
Placing cool or warm packs or washcloths over the infected eye can help. You can also take acetaminophen, if necessary. Clean the infected eye carefully with warm water and fresh, clean gauze or cotton balls.
Keep track of your symptoms, keep your hands clean, visit your doctor as needed, and follow your treatment instructions carefully. Within a week, your eyes should be feeling better.
How Common Is Chlamydia
Very. In the United States, chlamydia is the most common bacterial sexually transmitted infection . In 2018, nearly 1.8 million cases of chlamydia were reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . However, it is estimated that almost 3 million cases actually occur each year.
Chlamydia is most common in younger people. It is estimated that 1 in 20 sexually active young women aged 14-24 years has chlamydia.
Recommended Reading: Does Urgent Care Treat Chlamydia
How Easily Is Chlamydia Transmitted During Sexual Intercourse
Unfortunately, chlamydia is very easily transmitted through unprotected sexual contact. This is especially true because chlamydia infections are sometimes asymptomaticâmeaning they donât cause noticeable symptoms.
In fact, any time you come in contact with the bacteriaâeven if your sex partner doesnât ejaculate or you arenât fully penetratedâyou could become infected or pass along the chlamydial infection. This being the case, men and women should get tested for STIs before beginning any new sexual relationship.
What Are The Symptoms
Eye problems caused by chlamydia in adults usually develop slowly. Symptoms may include:
- Red, itchy, swollen or scratchy eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Pus or watery discharge
Usually there is no change in vision and no pain.
In a newborn, the symptoms may be eye redness, eyelid swelling, and watery discharge that start when the baby is 5 to 7 days old.
How Can I Help Prevent Chlamydial Conjunctivitis
- Wash your hands often. Do not touch or rub your eyes unless your hands are clean.
- Never share eye makeup or cosmetics with anyone. When you have conjunctivitis, throw out all eye makeup you have been using.
- Do not share towels, washcloths, pillows, or sheets with anyone. If one of your eyes is affected but not the other, use a separate towel for each eye.
- Use latex or polyurethane condoms during foreplay and every time you have vaginal, oral, or anal sex. Have just 1 sexual partner who is not sexually active with anyone else.
- If you are pregnant and have a chlamydial infection, get treatment for it before your baby is born.
How Do I Know If I Have Chlamydia
Most people who have chlamydia have no symptoms. If you do have symptoms, they may not appear until several weeks after you have sex with an infected partner. Even when chlamydia causes no symptoms, it can damage your reproductive system.
Women with symptoms may notice
- An abnormal vaginal discharge
- A burning sensation when urinating.
Symptoms in men can include
- A discharge from their penis
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Pain and swelling in one or both testicles .
Men and women can also get infected with chlamydia in their rectum. This happens either by having receptive anal sex, or by spread from another infected site . While these infections often cause no symptoms, they can cause
- Rectal pain
You should be examined by your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms or if your partner has an STD or symptoms of an STD. STD symptoms can include an unusual sore, a smelly discharge, burning when urinating, or bleeding between periods.
Also Check: What Medication Do You Take For Chlamydia
What Causes Chlamydial Conjunctivitis
Similar to an infection in the genital area, chlamydial conjunctivitis is usually caused when the eyes come into contact with the semen or vaginal fluids of someone with a chlamydia infection .
Often people with chlamydial conjunctivitis will also have an associated genital infection, of which they may not be aware. If left untreated, chlamydia infection may pass from the vaginal canal to a baby during childbirth, sometimes causing lung or eye infections in newborns.
Chlamydia In The Rectum Throat Or Eyes
Chlamydia can also infect:
- the rectum if you have unprotected anal sex this can cause discomfort and discharge from your rectum
- the throat if you have unprotected oral sex this is uncommon and usually causes no symptoms
- the eyes if they come into contact with infected semen or vaginal fluid this can cause eye redness, pain and discharge
Recommended Reading: How Much Is Chlamydia Medication Without Insurance
Chlamydia In Cats: Everything You Need To Know About It
- Post author
Cats are lovely pets to keep at home. It will be very happy and exciting to see your cats get happy and healthy. If you want to have some ideas of how to make your cats happy at home, you can see ways you should do to make your cat happy. Simple ways will surely make your cats feel greatly happy.
Back to chlamydia, some of you might be wondering what chlamydia is. Chlamydia is a disease caused by a bacterium called Chlamydophila felis.
This disease can lead to conjunctivitis, which is an infection and inflammation of the conjunctiva that covers the inner surface of eyelids and the white part of the eyes. For the first aid of cats eye infection, you can check the ways on how to treat cats eye infection.
Different with chlamydia in humans or in general, chlamydia in cats mostly attack conjunctivitis. While chlamydia in humans is mostly known as one of the sexual transmitted diseases.
Even the bacteria causing chlamydia in humans and with cats are different. In humans, chlamydia is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. Moreover, chlamydia in cats mostly attack conjunctivitis area, while in human it attacks reproduction system.
Chlamydia Symptoms In Women:
- testicular pain and/or swelling
- swollen skin around the anus
Depending on the localization of the infection, women, men and children may experience inflamed rectum, urethra or eyelids. The symptoms of mouth and throat infections are rare although a person can suffer a sore throat. Eyes infected with chlamydia can be itchy, swelled, cause painful sensations or produce discharge similar to conjunctivitis. Infection in the rectum results in bleeding, chlamydia discharge and pain.
You May Like: Does Having Chlamydia Make You Infertile
Can You Get Chlamydia In Your Eyes
You may also notice some light bleeding. You can also develop a chlamydia infection in your eye. This might happen if you get the genital fluid of someone who has chlamydia in your eye. It can also happen if you have chlamydia and touch your eyes after touching your penis or coming into contact with urethral or anal discharge.
Can You Get Hiv From Semen In Your Eye
HIV transmission from semen in your eye is extremely unlikely. While theoretically its possible to get HIV when a bodily fluid comes into contact with any mucous membranes , medical research has yet to document a single case of HIV transmission involving semen in the eye.
To date, there have only been a couple instances of HIV transmission through the eye. The first case was the result of an occupational exposure in a hospital laboratory where a lab technician managed to get a small droplet of HIV-infected blood into his eye and did not wash with water afterwards. The second instance involved a family caregiver reporting a small blood splash to the eye while providing oral hygiene to a HIV positive patient who was not on treatment.
In both these instances, blood was the source of transmission, which compared to semen is a lot more effective at transmitting HIV. However, these cases are extremely rare. In any case, it is best to rinse your eye immediately should you manage to cop a load in your eye.
Also Check: Side Effects To Chlamydia Medication
What Is The Treatment For A Chlamydial Eye Infection
Chlamydial eye infections can be extremely uncomfortable, but they are easy to treat with a round of antibiotics designed to fight that specific type of bacteria. Since the condition can worsen rather quickly, the earlier treatment is sought, the better, but it is never too late to seek out treatment. If it is suspected that you have a chlamydial eye infection, your healthcare provider will look at the bacteria in a laboratory to determine the specific strain and then find the right antibiotic to clear the bacteria from your body.
Once the right antibiotic has been prescribed, you will usually see relief from your symptoms within a few days to a week, with the infection completely clearing within a few weeks. It is possible to redevelop the condition once you have had it, so if you continue to experience symptoms, or begin experiencing them again, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately.
If your newborn contracts the infection at birth, the baby often will immediately be treated with an antibiotic eye ointment and also a round of IV antibiotics.
Can You Get Chlamydia From Drinking After Someone
The belief that you can catch chlamydia from drinking after someone is a myth. In reality, theres no risk of catching the infection when sharing food, water, or cutlery.
You can only catch chlamydia during:
- Unprotected vaginal, oral, or anal sex.
- Sharing sex toys.
- Contact with the genitals of an infected partner.
Recommended Reading: Chlamydia 4 Me Pills Reviews
Female Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia
Women can also become infertile if chlamydia is left untreated because the fallopian tubes may become scarred.
Related Questions Answered On Yanswers
- Can I get Chlamydia Pinkeye again from using old eye drops?
- Q: I am currently on my last day of treatment for Chlam , but yesterday I accidentally used an old bottle of eye drops and I have a habit of touching my eye when putting them in. My eye is still itchy and irritated, but not really red at all like full blown pink eye, but like the uncomfortable beginnings of it. Is it possible that I re-infected myself with chlamydia by using the eyedrops?
- A: Yes. And toss your old mascara brushes etc. as well they can spread the infection.Chlamydia pinkeye is rare, might talk to your doctor again to make sure the infection is finished.Chlamydia pink eyePink eye due to infection with chlamydia is an uncommon form of bacterial pink eye in the U.S., but it is very common in Africa and Middle Eastern countries. It can cause pink eye in adults and neonates. It is a cause of pink eye in adolescents and adults that can be sexually transmitted.
- baby chlamydia eye infection?
- Q: what other ways can a baby get chlamydia eye infection if the mother doesnt have chlamydia?
- A: Someone who has touched their fluids , didnt wash their hands and touched the babys eye or the babys hand and then the baby touched its eye. Get it taken care of ASAP. Its dangerous for a baby.
Recommended Reading: How Long Before Chlamydia Turns Into Hiv
How Do You Prevent Chlamydia
You can protect yourself from getting chlamydia through the use of a latex or polyurethane condoms which prevent contact with bodily fluids and discharge. Also, if you are diagnosed with chlamydia and your partner has been exposed, he or she should be tested and treated as well.
Focus: chlamydia by R Belland, DM Ojcius, GI Byrne Nature Reviews Microbiology, 2004 nature.com
When To Seek Medical Advice
If you have any symptoms of chlamydia, visit your GP, community contraceptive service or local genitourinary medicine clinic as soon as possible.
You should also get tested if you don’t have any symptoms but are concerned you could have a sexually transmitted infection .
If you’re a woman, sexually active and under 25 in England, it’s recommended that you have a chlamydia test once a year, and when you have sex with new or casual partners.
If you’re a man, sexually active and under 25 in England, it’s recommended that you have a chlamydia test once a year if you are not using condoms with new or casual partners.
Read more about chlamydia diagnosis.
Symptoms Of A Chlamydia Infection In The Eye
The symptoms of chlamydia in the eye are widely different than those experienced in the genitals, primarily due to the area of the body that has been affected. Most often, the symptoms will be similar to those experienced when you have a pinkeye infection. Typical symptoms that you may experience if you have the bacterial infection include:
- Redness in the eyes or the appearance of bloodshot eyes.
- Itching and irritation in the eyes and surrounding tissue.
- Swelling of the eyelids or other soft tissue surrounding the eyes.
- Discharge of mucus from the eyes, especially around the tear ducts.
- Tearing or constant watering of the eyes, sometimes with a burning sensation.
- Light sensitivity and tearing with exposure to light.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the areas close to your eyes.