Who Does Chlamydia Affect
Anyone whos sexually active can get chlamydia. The bacteria that causes chlamydia gets transmitted through vaginal fluid and semen, which means that people of all genders who have sex can become infected with chlamydia and infect their partners, too. If youre pregnant and have chlamydia, you can pass it on to your newborn.
Women Difficulties Of Without Treatment Chlamydia
Some women develop PID, an infection that can harm the womb, cervix, and also ovaries. PID is an unpleasant disease that typically needs hospital therapy.
Ladies can additionally come to be sterile if chlamydia is left without treatment due to the fact that the fallopian tubes may come to be marked.
Expectant females with the infection can pass the germs to their babies during birth, which can create eye infections as well as pneumonia in babies. What Happens If Chlamydia Goes Untreated
Can You Have Chlamydia For Years
You can have chlamydia for years if it is left untreated. Chlamydia, if left untreated for many years may cause a low grade infection without symptoms.
It could potentially flare up to cause a symptomatic infection, especially if there is an alteration in the persons immune system, such as a severe cold or flu, cancer or some other severe illness.
Recommended Reading: Home Remedies For Gonorrhea And Chlamydia
Why Do You Have To Wait 3 Months To Get Tested For Chlamydia
In fact, women who become reinfected with chlamydia have an even higher risk for PID and ectopic pregnancy than those with a first infection. Due to these risks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that any person who tests positive for chlamydia be retested three months after treatment.
What Happens If Chlamydia Isn’t Treated
Only some people who have chlamydia will have complications. If chlamydia is treated early, its unlikely to cause any long-term problems. But, without proper treatment, the infection can spread to other parts of the body. The more times you have chlamydia the more likely you are to get complications.
- If you have a vulva, chlamydia can spread to other reproductive organs causing pelvic inflammatory disease . This can lead to long-term pelvic pain, blocked fallopian tubes, infertility and ectopic pregnancy .
- In people with a vulva, chlamydia can also cause pain and inflammation around the liver, though this is rare. This usually gets better with the correct antibiotic treatment.
- If you have a penis, chlamydia can lead to infection in the testicles. If this isnt treated, theres a possibility it could affect your fertility but more research is needed to understand how likely this is.
- Rarely, chlamydia can lead to inflammation of the joints. This is known as Sexually Acquired Reactive Arthritis and is sometimes accompanied by inflammation of the urethra and the eye. This is more likely to occur in people with a penis than people with a vulva.
Read Also: Home Remedies To Cure Chlamydia
Your Chlamydia Was Poorly Treated Or Left Untreated
Its possible to have chlamydia infection with no symptoms of the disease. In some women and men, it could take weeks for chlamydia signs to appear. If you just started having symptoms, purchase chlamydia kit to know if its chlamydia or not.
Poorly treated chlamydia, either due to wrong antibiotics or not completing your doctors prescribed medications, may cause chlamydia to persist with resistance.
If you have chlamydia symptoms months after treatment, it is advisable to let your doctor know ASAP.
Do I Need To Have A Test To Check That The Chlamydia Has Gone
If you take the treatment according to the instructions, you wont usually need a test to check the chlamydia has gone.
If youre aged under 25, you should be offered a repeat test 3 months after finishing the treatment. This is because youre at a higher risk of getting chlamydia again.
Whatever your age, you may need a repeat test or more treatment if:
- you think youve come into contact with chlamydia again
- you had sex without a condom with a partner before the treatment for both of you was finished
- you didnt complete the treatment or didnt take it according to the instructions
- the signs and symptoms dont go away
- your test was negative but you develop signs or symptoms of chlamydia
- youre pregnant.
A repeat test can be done 56 weeks after the first test.
If the chlamydia was in your rectum , you may need another test around 3 weeks after finishing the treatment. Your doctor, nurse or clinic will let you know if you need another test.
You can go back to the doctor, nurse or clinic if you have any questions or need advice on how to protect yourself from infection in the future.
Also Check: Types Of Antibiotics For Chlamydia
We Understand All The Implications Of An Automobile Accident
The Law Office of A. Sam Jubran, P.A. understands this spectrum of emotions that victims will feel during and after an automobile accident. During the initial stages following the accident, a person is in pain and has most likely missed work. The stress of ones livelihood being affected as well as mounting medical bills can be intense. Our office can speak with your initial doctors and attempt to have all bill collection delayed until after your case is settled. Well record the hours and vacation days that youre missing because of your injuries and seek compensation for you.
Your vehicle may be totaled or have sustained damage that requires immediate attention. You and your family have been inconvenienced without a vehicle to drive, not to mention, you might have lost value to your vehicle. This adds annoyance at having to figure out how to meet your familys day-to-day needs. Oftentimes there are different viewpoints and statements as to how the accident occurred. Well make sure to advocate for your side and see that liability is indisputable. The attorneys at Sam Jubrans office have ample experience with property damage claims and a Jacksonville automobile accident attorney make sure yours runs smoothly and promptly.
How Can You Prevent Chlamydia
Whether or not youâve had chlamydia before, you can take simple actions to protect your sexual health going forward.
- Unprotected sex is one of the main ways this STD is transmitted, so use protection every time you have sex.
- Routinely screen for STDs like chlamydia .
- If you have a new sex partner, consider talking with them about both of you getting tested so you can enjoy physical intimacy with greater peace of mind.
- Speak with your healthcare providerâand consider getting testedâif youâre experiencing symptoms of this or any other STD.
To easily test for chlamydia from the privacy of home, take the Everlywell at-home Chlamydia & Gonorrhea Test. You can also check for 6 common sexually transmitted infections with the Everlywell at-home STD Test for men or women.
You May Like: What Happens If You Wait Too Long To Treat Chlamydia
How Quickly Do Symptoms Show
In many cases, chlamydia symptoms do not show up at all, making it possible for the infection to lie dormant in the body and cause long-term side effects when not treated.
If someone with chlamydia does experience symptoms, the time it takes for them to show up may vary.
For most people, though, it takes about 7-21 days after having unprotected sex with an infected partner. However, it can take longer.
How Can I Treat Chlamydia Without Going To The Doctor
The recommended treatment for chlamydia is a single dose of azithromycin 1 g taken orally or doxycycline 100 mg taken orally twice a day for 7 days. Alternative chlamydia treatments include: erythromycin base 500 mg taken 4 times a day for 7 days. erythromycin ethylsucciante 800 mg taken 4 times a day for 7 days.
Recommended Reading: Chlamydia And Trichomoniasis At The Same Time
What Does Chlamydia Infection Mean For My Health
Chlamydia can be treated and cured easily, but that doesnt mean that chlamydia infection isnt potentially dangerous. If chlamydia is not detected and left untreated, it can cause complications serious complications in men and women.
Untreated chlamydia infections in women may lead to:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease , a serious infection of a womans reproductive organs . Left untreated, PID can cause infertility , chronic pelvic pain, or ectopic pregnancy .
- A condition called mucopurulent cervicitis, characterized by a yellow discharge from the cervix
Untreated chlamydia in men may lead to:
- Scarring of the urethra
You Cant Catch Chlamydia From A Toilet Seat
Many people believe they can get chlamydia from a toilet seat. This isnt true.
Theres no need to worry about catching chlamydia in a public bathroom. Even if you share a toilet seat with someone who has it, you cant get the infection. You also cant catch chlamydia from sharing items like towels.
Usually, chlamydia spreads through unprotected sex. Its also possible to get the disease if you share sex toys with someone who has the infection. Sex toys should be washed or covered with a condom. If your partner has vaginal fluid or semen on their fingers, it may be possible to spread the infection that way.
You May Like: Does Chlamydia Go Away For Guys
What Increases Your Risk
Risk factors for getting chlamydia include:
- Having unprotected sex .
- Having more than one sex partner.
- Having a high-risk partner or partners. This includes people who have more than one sex partner or sex partners who have chlamydia.
- Starting sexual activity before age 18.
Any child with chlamydia needs to be seen by a doctor to determine the cause and to assess for possible sexual abuse. For more information, see the topic Child Abuse and Neglect.
What Are The Treatments For Chlamydia
Antibiotics will cure the infection. You may get a one-time dose of the antibiotics, or you may need to take medicine every day for 7 days. Antibiotics cannot repair any permanent damage that the disease has caused.
To prevent spreading the disease to your partner, you should not have sex until the infection has cleared up. If you got a one-time dose of antibiotics, you should wait 7 days after taking the medicine to have sex again. If you have to take medicine every day for 7 days, you should not have sex again until you have finished taking all of the doses of your medicine.
It is common to get a repeat infection, so you should get tested again about three months after treatment.
Don’t Miss: Get Tested For Chlamydia Free
Treatment For Genital Herpes
Three drugs are approved to treat genital herpes:
These medications are antiviral drugs called nucleoside analogues. The drugs are used initially to treat a first attack of herpes, and then afterward to either treat recurrent outbreaks or reduce frequency of recurrences .
No drug can cure herpes simplex virus. The infection may recur after treatment has been stopped. Even during therapy, an infected person can still transmit the virus to another person. Drugs can, however, reduce the severity of symptoms, improve healing times, and prevent recurrences.
Antiviral drugs for genital herpes are generally given as pills that are taken by mouth. If people experience very severe disease or complications, they need to be hospitalized and receive an antiviral drug intravenously. Acyclovir is also available as an ointment, which can be used as an adjunct for treatment of initial genital herpes.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Rid Of Herpes On My Lip
How Common Is Chlamydia
Chlamydia is the most common STI caused by bacteria. Nearly 2 million cases of chlamydia were reported to the CDC in 2019. The number of infections is likely even higher. When compared to previous years, 2019 infection rates increased among people of all genders, all races and ethnicities, and in every region of the U.S. Most cases of chlamydia are asymptomatic, which means there are no signs or symptoms of an infection. Many of these cases likely go unreported.
Certain demographic characteristics may make you more likely to get diagnosed with chlamydia. Youre more likely to get diagnosed if youre:
- A teen or young adult aged 15 to 24. More than half of all diagnosed chlamydia cases in the U.S. occur in this age group.
- A cisgender woman aged 15 to 24. Young women in this age group are targeted for chlamydia screenings, and the rate of infection among those who are tested is high.
- A man who has sex with men . Chlamydia infections disproportionately affect men who have sex with men.
- Black and non-Hispanic. Chlamydia infections disproportionately affect non-Hispanic Black populations.
Recommended Reading: How You Know You Have Chlamydia
Am I At Risk For Chlamydia
Anyone who has sex can get chlamydia through unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex. However, sexually active young people are at a higher risk of getting chlamydia. This is due to behaviors and biological factors common among young people. Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men are also at risk since chlamydia can spread through oral and anal sex.
Have an honest and open talk with your health care provider. Ask whether you should be tested for chlamydia or other STDs. If you are a sexually active woman younger than 25 years, you should get a test for chlamydia every year. If you are an older woman with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners, or a sex partner who has an STD, you should get a test for chlamydia every year. Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men as well as pregnant women should also get tested for chlamydia.
Hire Car Accident Attorney Right After Your Accident
The time after a motor vehicle accident can be stressful and confusing. There are several steps you should take including calling 911, exchanging insurance information, and seeking medical attention. The very next step you should take is to consult with a trusted car accident attorney in Jacksonville, FL if you or a passenger experienced injury due to another persons negligence. The attorneys at The Witherspoon Law Group will help you navigate the process, deal with insurance companies, and obtain adequate compensation.
Those that have recently been in a car accident are encouraged to pay attention to these important details when working with the law group:
- There are Statutes of Limitations on accidents
- There is a timeline set forth by the state of Florida for any claim you can make starting the day after you have an accident. This means you should consult with an attorney to start your claim as soon as possible.
You May Like: How To Tell If You Have Chlamydia Or Gonorrhea
Don’t Miss: Is Chlamydia Cured With Antibiotics
How Can I Prevent Chlamydia
It’s easier to prevent an STI like chlamydia than it is to treat it:
- Don’t have more than one sex partner at a time. The safest sex is with one partner who has sex only with you. Every time you add a new sex partner, you are being exposed to all of the infections that all of their partners may have.
- Use a condom every time you have sex. Latex and polyurethane condoms keep out the viruses and bacteria that cause STIs.
- Be responsible. Don’t have sex if you have symptoms of an infection or if you are being treated for an STI.
- Wait to have sex with a new partner until both of you have been tested for STIs.
Can You Get Chlamydia More Than Once
Yes, you can get the infection even if youve successfully treated it already.
A sexual partner who has chlamydia can transmit it to you again, even if youve already had it and treated it.
You can also get chlamydia again if it wasnt fully treated the first time. This can happen if you stop taking the necessary treatment. Its important to complete the antibiotics youve been given, even if your symptoms get better.
The CDC recommends getting tested 3 months after treatment of your initial infection to ensure the infection is cleared.
Recommended Reading: How Long After Taking Medicine For Chlamydia Is It Gone
Also Check: What Is Used To Cure Chlamydia
Other Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia In All People
- Conjunctivitis, spread by touching the infected area and then touching the hand to the eye
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the rectum , if the chlamydia is from anal sex
- Varied symptoms, such as joint and eye inflammation, caused by bacterial infection
- Lymphogranuloma venereum, or LGV. This is caused by a type of chlamydia that is usually rare in the United States, but it is becoming more common in men who have sex with men. It causes open sores in the genital area, headache, fever, fatigue, and swelling of the lymph nodes in the groin. It also causes proctitis in people who get chlamydia through anal sex.
How Long Does It Take For A Male To Show Signs Of Chlamydia
Symptoms in the penis Symptoms of chlamydia may affect the penis within 13 weeks of the person coming into contact with the infection. In some cases, though, these symptoms can take months to appear. Symptoms of chlamydia in the penis may include: white, cloudy, or watery discharge from the tip of the penis.
You May Like: Over The Counter Chlamydia Pills
We Treat You Like Family
When you choose us to represent you, you become a part of the Douglas & Douglas family. Becoming a part of our family entitles you to a strategy from our professional team with honest counsel and regular communication as to the status of your case. From experience we have found that roundtable discussions with varied professionals and lawyers achieve the best results for our clients. Our team will develop a strategy specifically for your case, advising you on your best options to achieve your objective given your budget and other constraints. If we cannot help you, we will tell you so. While we cannot guarantee the success of any given venture, we do promise to provide you with honest, competent and zealous legal representation. We take it personally when our clients have been injured, wronged, accused or otherwise damaged, and we are ready to fight for you.
We are with you every step of the way, whether your injury case is settle outside of court, or if it moves forward to trial. Our accident attorneys make sure that you to have all the details of your claim at hand so that you can make the most informed decision possible when it comes to the tough choices. You can trust that throughout the entire process, we are always ensuring that your interests are protected.