Gonorrhea Should Always Be Treated
Gonorrhea can be a painful and extremely uncomfortable infection, and it might even be embarrassing. But at the end of the day, it is better to get it checked out and treated early, before it causes damage to your sexual organs. Antibiotics are the only form of treatment proven to cure gonorrhea. But, if you cannot make it to a doctor right away or simply want to help speed up the process of healing, the treatments, dietary changes, and lifestyle tips weve listed in this article may be able to help you out. Hopefully, your adventure with gonorrhea will be a short one.
Chlamydia Is A Serious Infection
Chlamydia is Americas most common bacterial sexually transmitted infection. Every year, an estimated 2.86 million infections occur. Since its so common, you may assume that its no big deal. However, chlamydia can be a very serious infection.
Chlamydia is very common, but that doesnt mean it cant have a serious impact on your health. The infection can cause a number of long-term complications. In up to 15 percent of women with untreated chlamydia, the infection spreads to the uterus and uterine tubes, leading to symptomatic pelvic inflammatory disease. In addition, some women experience subclinical inflammation of the upper genital tract. This can cause permanent damage to the affected tissues.
Best Way To Treat Chlamydia
The bacterial invaders that make up chlamydia are a hardy bunch, but when they meet a powerful antibiotic they tend to meet their demise rather quickly. Can you get rid of chlamydia? With antibiotics like doxycycline or azithromycin coursing through your body you certainly can. You need to get that prescription first, so again we cant state strongly enough how important it is that you get into a doctors office as soon as possible.
Once you start taking one of these oral antibiotics prescribed by your doctor then you can expect your chlamydia infection to be overcome within a week or two. Do not stop taking the medication before you finish ALL of it. This is very important, as some people will discontinue it after their symptoms are no longer present but then they find their infection returns and theyre right back at the beginning.
Take all of the medication EXACTLY as your physician tells you to, and finish the entirety of the vial. Can you get rid of chlamydia? Yes, but you need to do exactly as your doctor advises you.
Also Check: How Long Does It Take To Cure Chlamydia
Is Treatment Always Necessary For Chlamydia
Yes, treatment is necessary for chlamydia, particularly in women of childbearing age, because it reduces the risk of chlamydia-associated ectopic pregnancy, fertility problems, and the transmission of chlamydia to neonates during birth. In women, of all ages, chlamydia treatment reduces the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease.
In men, treatment for chlamydia stops them from infecting or reinfecting sexual partners with the bacteria.
Treat any person testing positive for chlamydia with a recommended course of antibiotics promptly. Delays in treatment have been associated with complications, such as pelvic inflammatory disease.
How Accurate Are The Tests
The accuracy of a chlamydia test depends on the kind of test used and the type of sample thats collected. The recommended tests are over 95% accurate in picking up chlamydia. As no test is 100% accurate theres a small chance that the test will give a negative result when you do have chlamydia. This is known as a false negative result. This can sometimes explain why you might get a different result from another test or why you and a partner might get a different test result.
Its possible for the test to be positive if you havent got chlamydia, but this is rare.
Don’t Miss: How Long After Chlamydia Treatment Are You Contagious
Just Diagnosed Next Steps After Testing Positive For Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia
If youve just found out that you have gonorrhea or chlamydia, you may be trying to figure out what to do next. Here are the three most important steps that you can take:
WHY?Many people with gonorrhea and chlamydia dont have symptoms. Why does this matter? Because an untreated infection can lead to serious and permanent health problems, even if you never have symptoms. Gonorrhea and chlamydia can be cured with the right medicine from your doctor. Just make sure you take all of your medicine exactly as your doctor tells you to.
WHERE?Your regular doctor can prescribe antibiotics to cure the STD. But if you dont have insurance or want to see someone else for treatment, there are other low-cost or free options. You can get tested and treated at your local health departments STD clinic, a family planning clinic, a student health center, or an urgent care clinic. You can also find a clinic using GetTested and ask if they offer treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- In women, untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to health problems like ectopic pregnancy or infertility .
- In men, chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause a painful condition in the tubes attached to the testicles. In rare cases, this may prevent him from being able to have children.
- Untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea may also increase your chances of getting or giving HIV the virus that causes AIDS.
How To Get Rid Of Chlamydia In Males
Chlamydia in males is caused by a bacterial infection. This infection is mostly treated with oral antibiotics. The most effective and recommended treatment for chlamydia is the prescribing of Azithromycin or Doxycycline. After treatment, usually the infection will clear in 7 to 14 days. The recommended dosage should be finished for infection to be completely cleared. For treatment to be most effective, it is recommended that both partner complete treatment and abstain from any sexual contact for at least 7 days after completing their treatment.
Also Check: Can You Take Amoxicillin 500mg For Chlamydia
What Is Chlamydia Like
Chlamydia is a common sexually transmitted infection . Most people who have confirmed cases of chlamydia are recorded to have no symptoms. When symptoms do appear, it occurs in the form of a pus-like yellow discharge, frequent or painful urination. Additionally, some women experience spotting between periods or after sex. Also, rectal pain irritation, bleeding or discharge can occur. Some patients may experience lower abdominal pain, swollen or tender testicles. If left untreated, chlamydia may lead to infertility or irreversible reproductive issues.
How Can I Reduce My Risk Of Getting Chlamydia
The only way to avoid STDs is to not have vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
If you are sexually active, you can do the following things to lower your chances of getting chlamydia:
- Be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested and has negative STD test results
- Use latex condoms the right way every time you have sex.
Read Also: If You Test Positive For Chlamydia
Final Thoughts On Chlamydia Symptoms
Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise in virtually all populations and age groups. Particularly concerning are the statistics that show that two-thirds of the cases involve young women and men, just beginning their sexual prime. As symptoms of chlamydia in men and women dont always appear, there is a significant risk in spreading this bacterial infection even when using typical safe-sex practices.
Young women, left untreated, can develop infertility, experience an ectopic pregnancy, and suffer painful inflammatory responses until chlamydia is cured. For long-term health and wellness, it is imperative that chlamydia is treated quickly and that proven safe-sex practices are employed moving forward.
Young men, left untreated can experience painful conditions that affect sexual performance and overall wellness. It is imperative that, like women with chlamydia, they are treated and cured prior to engaging in sexual acts.
Chlamydia is not just a problem in younger demographics older sexually active adults are contracting STDs, including chlamydia, in astounding numbers. For all age groups, it is imperative to practice safe sex, get tested annually, and to have open and honest discussions with all sexual partners about any chlamydia symptoms or other STDs.
Read Next:Genital Herpes Symptoms + 4 Natural Treatments
Is There An Over Counter Treatment For Chlamydia
No, the CDC recommended treatment for chlamydia requires a prescription, but you do not need to visit the doctor’s office in person to get a prescription. Technology has made doctor visits online quick and easy. Just complete an online consultation visit and a prescription can be sent to a local pharmacy.
Don’t Miss: Can Boric Acid Cure Chlamydia
What Happens If Chlamydia Is Left Untreated
- reduced fertility
- reactive arthritis
- an infection of the testicles and epididymis
- pelvic inflammatory disease which can cause pain, infertility and increase the risk of having ectopic pregnancies
- reactive arthritis
- pregnancy complications like miscarriages, premature births and stillbirths
Does Chlamydia Cause Cervical Cancer
No, chlamydia doesn’t cause cervical cancer.
It’s possible to get a sexually transmitted infection by having sex with someone who has an STI, even if they have no symptoms.
The following measures will help protect you from most STIs including chlamydia, gonorrhoea and HIV.
If you have an STI, they’ll also help prevent you from passing it on to someone:
- Use condoms every time you have vaginal or anal sex.
- If you have oral sex , use a condom to cover the penis, or a dam to cover the vulva or anus.
- Avoid sharing sex toys. If you do share them, wash them or cover them with a new condom before anyone else uses them.
Don’t Miss: Can Chlamydia Cause Kidney Infection
What Happens If I Dont Get Treated
The initial damage that chlamydia causes often goes unnoticed. However, chlamydia can lead to serious health problems.
If you are a woman, untreated chlamydia can spread to your uterus and fallopian tubes . This can cause pelvic inflammatory disease . PID often has no symptoms, however some women may have abdominal and pelvic pain. Even if it doesnt cause symptoms initially, PID can cause permanent damage to your reproductive system. PID can lead to long-term pelvic pain, inability to get pregnant, and potentially deadly ectopic pregnancy .
Men rarely have health problems linked to chlamydia. Infection sometimes spreads to the tube that carries sperm from the testicles, causing pain and fever. Rarely, chlamydia can prevent a man from being able to have children.
Ii Home Remedies For Chlamydia
There are many natural treatments for chlamydia out there and you can choose any of these remedies to apply at home. All of these home remedies are highly effective in reducing the symptoms of this infection without causing any unwanted side effect, so you can feel secure when applying any of them.
1. Stay Hydrated
This should be the first one among home remedies for chlamydia infection that we would like to reveal in this article. Water can help cleanse your body by flushing off metabolic waste, toxins and harmful substances. It is recommended to drink at least 12 cups of water daily to remove toxins from the body. You can try adding ¼ tsp. of salt to your water for more effective results.
To know some of the simplest homemade drinks recipes for weight loss that you can make with ease at home, read on List Of 29 Best Easy Homemade Drinks Recipes To Lose Weight
2. Home Remedies For Chlamydia Lemon
When it comes to learning fast home remedies for chlamydia, you should try using the lemon. Actually, lemon can be used to treat chlamydia due to its high content of vitamin C. We all know that vitamin C helps improve the immune system to deal with the inflammation. Just add some drops of fresh lemon juice to a glass of water and then drink it.
Read on Benefits Of Drinking Lemon Water 19 Reasons To Drink It! to discover some of the benefits of lemon water for health and beauty.
3. Green Tea
4. Aloe Vera
6. Oregano Oil
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Chlamydia And Gonorrhea
What Do I Need To Do
- In NSW, PDPT is being offered at some Publicly Funded Sexual Health Clinics and some Family Planning Clinics call 1800 451 624 to find out where in NSW. If you live outside of NSW check with your doctor as its not available everywhere in Australia
- Make sure you read or print off these fact sheets for you and your partner/s. This one is for you and this one is for your partners
Natural Ways To Treat Chlamydia Without Going Doctor
In research, it is proved that no natural remedy can cure Chlamydia till now. But there are various natural supplements available which can cure the immune system which is the main cause of having Chlamydia. Some of them are:-
Recommended Reading: What It Feels Like To Have Chlamydia
What Are The Symptoms Of Chlamydia
- pain from the end part of your penis
- discharge from your penis or bottom
- burning pain when you pass urine
- painful or swollen testicles
- discharge from your vagina
- burning pain when passing urine
- pain or discomfort in your lower tummy after sex
- spotting or bleeding in between your usual monthly periods
- bleeding after having sex
How Chlamydia’s Passed On
Chlamydia is usually passed from one person to another through sexual contact.
You can get the infection if you come into contact with the semen or vaginal fluids of someone who has chlamydia.
Chlamydia is most commonly spread through:
- vaginal or anal sex without a condom
- sharing sex toys that arent washed or covered with a new condom each time theyre used.
It can be spread by giving or receiving oral sex with someone who has chlamydia. The risk can be lowered by using a condom or a dam to cover the genitals.
If infected semen or vaginal fluid comes into contact with the eye it can cause conjunctivitis (infection or irritation of the eye.
If youre pregnant its possible to pass chlamydia to the baby .
Its not clear if chlamydia can be spread by transferring infected semen or vaginal fluid to another persons genitals on the fingers or through rubbing vulvas together.
You cant get chlamydia from kissing, hugging, sharing baths or towels, swimming pools, toilet seats or from sharing cups, plates or cutlery.
Recommended Reading: Where To Get Free Chlamydia Treatment
What Happens If I Get Chlamydia When I’m Pregnant
- Chlamydia during pregnancy has been associated in very rare cases with problems such as premature birth, and infection of the uterus lining after the birth.
- It can be passed to the baby during the birth and before the baby is born. This can cause inflammation and discharge in the babys eye and/or pneumonia.
- You may be offered a chlamydia test as part of your antenatal care.
- Chlamydia can be treated with antibiotics when youre pregnant and when youre breastfeeding. The antibiotics wont harm the baby, but do tell the doctor or nurse that youre pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Youll be advised to have another test after you complete your treatment.
What Do I Need To Know If I Get Treated For Chlamydia
If youre getting treated for chlamydia:
- Take all of your medicine the way your nurse or doctor tells you to, even if any symptoms you may be having go away sooner. The infection stays in your body until you finish the antibiotics.
- Your partner should also get treated for chlamydia so you dont re-infect each other or anyone else.
- Dont have sex for 7 days. If you only have 1 dose of medication, wait for 7 days after you take it before having sex. If youre taking medicine for 7 days, dont have sex until youve finished all of your pills.
- Get tested again in 3-4 months to make sure your infection is gone.
- Dont share your medicine with anyone. Your nurse or doctor may give you a separate dose of antibiotics for your partner. Make sure you both take all of the medicine you get.
- Even if you finish your treatment and the chlamydia is totally gone, its possible to get a new chlamydia infection again if youre exposed in the future. Chlamydia isnt a one-time-only deal. So use condoms and get tested regularly.
Also Check: How Long Do Chlamydia And Gonorrhea Tests Take
Ive Been Given Medication For Chlamydia What Now
If you have been given a medication or a prescription to take to a pharmacy please read the Partner Info Sheet that came with it before taking the medication.
Dont have a Partner Info Sheet? No problem. Click here for a copy.
For more info on PDPT, or advice around telling your partner, call Sexual Health Infolink on 1800 451 624.
How Long Does It Take For Chlamydia To Go Away After Treatment
Chlamydia infection usually clears after one week of completing your antibiotic treatment. During treatment, you should avoid drinking alcohol as this can reduce how effective the antibiotic is.
You should also avoid having sex during treatment as you could still pass on the infection to your partner. It is common for partners to pass chlamydia between one another if they continue to have sex without completing their treatment, causing repeated infections.
Also Check: Can You Buy Medicine For Chlamydia Over The Counter