Women Difficulties Of Neglected Chlamydia
Some women create PID, an infection that can damage the uterus, cervix, and also ovaries. PID is a painful condition that often requires healthcare facility therapy.
Ladies can also come to be sterile if chlamydia is left neglected because the fallopian tubes may become marked.
Pregnant women with the infection can pass the microorganisms to their infants throughout birth, which can create eye infections as well as pneumonia in newborns. Can You Get Rid Of Chlamydia
How To Use Over The Counter Antibiotics To Safely Treat Chlamydia
It is not a sin or wrong to go for Chlamydia over the counter antibioticsbut our major concern is your safety and using it more effectively. Do not ignore your doctors instructions when using your prescribe drug. Always go for the label if you must buy from the counter. Make sure you check
Will An Std Go Away On Its Own
No, dont expect an STI to go away on its own. Ignoring symptoms, noncompliance or denial can put both you and your partner at considerable health risk and lead to long-term problems. Even if you dont have symptoms, theres still a risk of complications and passing the infection to your sexual partners.
Read Also: Does Chlamydia Have A Fishy Smell
Practice Safer Sex By Using A Condom
When used correctly, external and internal condoms help prevent the spread of many STIs during vaginal, anal and oral sex. Condoms are less effective at protecting against STIs transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, such as herpes simplex virus, genital warts ) and syphilis .
Important things to remember when using condoms:
- Check the condom package for damage. Do not use a damaged condom
- Check the expiry date. Do not use a condom after its expiry date
- Carefully open the package so that the condom does not tear. Do not use a condom that has been torn
- Keep condoms away from sharp objects such as rings, studs or piercings
- Store condoms at room temperature
- Use a new condom every time you have sex. Do not reuse condoms
- Do not use 2 condoms at once. Using 2 condoms together may result in a condom breaking
- Use only water-based lubricants with external latex condoms. Oil-based lubricants, such as petroleum jelly, lotion or baby oil, can weaken and destroy latex
- Water or oil-based lubricant may be used with polyurethane/nitrile condoms
- Use only condoms made of latex or polyurethane/nitrile/polyisoprene rubbers. Latex and polyurethane condoms are the best types of condoms to use to help prevent pregnancy and STIs.
- Avoid using condoms with spermicides containing nonoxynol-9 as it can irritate tissue and may increase the chance of getting an STI
Can You Cure Mouth Chlamydia
Yes you can chlamydia in the mouth, just as at other sites of the body, can be treated and completely removed with a simple course of antibiotics. However, its important to follow your treatment regime properly to ensure the infection is removed. Also, treatment only removes existing infections and wont protect you from future infection.
Does oral chlamydia go away on its own? if chlamydia is untreated, it is thought that up to 50% of people will clear the infection themselves within 12 months. However, in the remainder of people who dont clear the infection, a chronic chlamydial infection becomes established, and in the longer term this can result in serious negative medical outcomes.
How does oral chlamydia treatment work? the first choice antibiotic for chlamydia is the antibiotic doxycycline 100mg taken twice a day by mouth for 7 days (this should not be used in pregnancy.
Make sure you use treatment correctly it is important that you:
- Take all the antibiotics as instructed dont miss any out
- Do not have sex on treatment or for 7 days afterwards, not even oral sex or sex with a condom
- Your current/most recent partners should be tested, and treated as they are contacts
- Attend a sexual health clinic for a full STI screen
Do I need another test after treatment? usually no, except in the following situations:
- You have to be treated with a different antibiotic to the 2 standard treatments, e.g. erythromycin
- You have rectal chlamydia as well
- You are pregnant
What Antibiotics Do You Get For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is one of the most common STDs. It can be treated easily if caught early. Some of the most recommended antibiotics used to treat chlamydia are azithromycin and doxycycline. Azithromycin is typically given as 2 tablets one time while doxycycline is given as 2 capsules a day for 7 days. These antibiotics are most effective if both partners have received treatment and have taken their prescription as directed.
Exactly How Is Chlamydia Spread Can You Naturally Get Rid Of Chlamydia
You can obtain chlamydia by having vaginal, anal, or foreplay with a person who has chlamydia.
If your sex partner is male you can still get chlamydia even if he does not climax.
If youve had chlamydia and also were treated in the past, you can still get contaminated again. This can happen if you have unsafe sex with someone that has chlamydia.
If you are expectant, you can offer chlamydia to your infant throughout childbirth.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know I Have Chlamydia
Male Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia
These are just some of the most common complications of untreated chlamydia, which is why its important to get medical attention right away. Most people who get treatment quickly have no long-term medical problems.
Chlamydia Signs In Women Can You Get Rid Of Chlamydia
Chlamydia is often referred to as the silent infection. Thats since individuals with chlamydia might not experience signs in any way.
If a female agreements the STI, it might take several weeks prior to any kind of signs and symptoms show up.
Several of the most common signs of chlamydia in women include:
- painful intercourse
- discomfort in the lower abdomen
- swelling of the cervix
- bleeding between periods
In some females, the infection can spread to the fallopian tubes, which might cause a condition called pelvic inflammatory illness .
Read Also: Natural Ways To Cure Chlamydia
Final Thoughts On Chlamydia Symptoms
Sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise in virtually all populations and age groups. Particularly concerning are the statistics that show that two-thirds of the cases involve young women and men, just beginning their sexual prime. As symptoms of chlamydia in men and women dont always appear, there is a significant risk in spreading this bacterial infection even when using typical safe-sex practices.
Young women, left untreated, can develop infertility, experience an ectopic pregnancy, and suffer painful inflammatory responses until chlamydia is cured. For long-term health and wellness, it is imperative that chlamydia is treated quickly and that proven safe-sex practices are employed moving forward.
Young men, left untreated can experience painful conditions that affect sexual performance and overall wellness. It is imperative that, like women with chlamydia, they are treated and cured prior to engaging in sexual acts.
Chlamydia is not just a problem in younger demographics older sexually active adults are contracting STDs, including chlamydia, in astounding numbers. For all age groups, it is imperative to practice safe sex, get tested annually, and to have open and honest discussions with all sexual partners about any chlamydia symptoms or other STDs.
How Long Can You Have Chlamydia Without Knowing
Chlamydia is sometimes called a silent infection because the majority of people who have chlamydia regardless of gender never notice symptoms. People who do notice symptoms often dont recognize the signs that they have chlamydia until a few weeks after theyve been infected. Because chlamydia cases are often asymptomatic, its easy to spread chlamydia to someone else without realizing it. And its easy to miss out on receiving the treatment needed to prevent the serious complications that can result from chlamydia.
You May Like: How Early Can You Detect Chlamydia
How Do I Know If I Have Chlamydia
If you suspect you have chlamydia, your doctor may want to test cervical or penile discharge or urine using one of several available methods.
In most cases of chlamydia, the cure rate is 95%. However, because many women dont know they have the disease until it has caused serious complications such as pelvic inflammatory disease, sexually active women under age 25 and others at higher risk should be tested for chlamydia once a year during their annual pelvic exam even if they dont have symptoms.
Pregnant women should also be tested as part of their routine lab work.
Also Check: Home Remedies To Cure Chlamydia
Can Chlamydia Go Away On Its Own
It is highly unlikely for chlamydia to go away on its own. Although the symptoms may subside temporarily, the infection may persist in the body in the absence of treatment . It is important to seek diagnosis and timely treatment to get rid of the infection.
If treatment is not sought, chlamydia can lead to the following serious complications:
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases or PID
- Fitz-Hugh-Curtis Syndrome
- Untreated chlamydia in pregnant women can cause serious consequences such as preterm delivery , ophthalmia neonatorum , and pneumonia in the newborn.
- Reactive arthritis may develop in men and women following chlamydia infection.
- Men have less symptoms linked to chlamydia compared with women. Chlamydia infection can sometimes lead to epididymitis , causing pain and fever. Rarely, chlamydia can cause infertility in men.
Don’t Miss: What It Feels Like To Have Chlamydia
Will My Birth Control Work If I Am Taking Antibiotics
There is very little evidence to show that antibiotics make hormonal forms of birth control not work very well. Examples of hormonal birth control include the pill, the patch, the ring or the shot. If you are being treated with antibiotics, it is important to keep using your birth control as you normally would. If you have concerns, use condoms until your next period comes after completing the antibiotics, or speak to your health care provider for more information.
How Is Chlamydia Treated
Chlamydia can be cleared up with antibiotics in about a week or two. But dont stop taking your medication just because your symptoms improve. Ask your provider about what follow-up is needed to be sure your infection is gone after youve finished taking your medicine.
Part of your treatment should also include avoiding sexual activities that could cause you to get re-infected and ensuring that any sexual partners who may be infected also get treatment. You should:
- Abstain from sex until your infection has cleared up. Starting treatment doesnt mean that youre in the clear. Take all your medication as your provider directs, and avoid all sexual contact in the meantime.
- Contact all sexual partners. Tell any sexual partners from the last 3 months that youre infected so that they can get tested, too.
- Get tested for other STIs . Its common to have multiple STIs, and its important to receive treatment thats tailored to each infection.
Antibiotics can get rid of your infection, but they cant reverse any harm the bacteria may have caused to your body before treatment. This is why its so important to get screened regularly for chlamydia, to see your provider at the first sign of symptoms, and get treatment immediately if youre infected.
Don’t Miss: Chlamydia Does It Go Away
Know Your Sexual Health Status
If you have recently changed sexual partners, or have multiple sex partners, getting regularly tested for STIs will tell you if you have an infection. Some people can have an STI and not have any symptoms. Finding and treating an STI reduces the chances of passing infections on to your partner.
The more partners you have, the higher your chances of getting exposed to STIs.
Related Resources For Chlamydia:
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
You May Like: How Long For Chlamydia Symptoms To Show Up
How Accurate Are Std Test Kits
Most companies work with CLIA-certified labs, which means that ideally, tests would be as accurate as in-person screenings. Of course, the nature of at-home test kits leaves more room for human error. Inaccuracies could arise from improperly collecting a sample, shipping or storage problems, or being tested before the incubation period of an STD. Many companies claim their tests are anywhere from 95%-98% accurate. As always, at-home kits should never replace regular medical checkups, and its a good idea to follow-up with your regular healthcare provider and seek medical attention if your results contradict the symptoms youre experiencing.
How To Cure Chlamydia Naturally
If ever does anyone suspect the symptoms of chlamydia, they must not delay in getting the treatment. Chlamydia is not complicated to treat. Besides the medicinal drugs, there are several natural remedies as well that can cure chlamydia. Learn about some of these natural treatments in the following content of this article which is all about natural cures for chlamydia.
It wouldnt be anything new if you are seeing this name for another remedy, right? This is all due to the fact that garlic has been provided with marvelous anti-biotic as well as anti-cancer properties which make its use versatile.It is a healthy anti-oxidant too. As mentioned, garlic is gifted with anti-biotic property and hence, it is quite effective in curing chlamydia by eradicating the chlamydia trachomatis bacterium.
This herb that belongs to the Legume family of plants is being used since years in Chinese medicines for its various medicinal properties. Astragalus root extract boosts the immune system and this helps in eradicating the infection.
Here is another natural cure for chlamydia. Yoghurt is quite effective in reducing the itching and in soothing the burning sensation that is caused due to the infection. Moreover, it changes the pH of vagina to make the survival rates low for any harmful micro-organism.
You May Like: Chances Of Getting Chlamydia From One Encounter
What Happens If I Get Chlamydia When I’m Pregnant
- Chlamydia during pregnancy has been associated in very rare cases with problems such as premature birth, and infection of the uterus lining after the birth.
- It can be passed to the baby during the birth and before the baby is born. This can cause inflammation and discharge in the babys eye and/or pneumonia.
- You may be offered a chlamydia test as part of your antenatal care.
- Chlamydia can be treated with antibiotics when youre pregnant and when youre breastfeeding. The antibiotics wont harm the baby, but do tell the doctor or nurse that youre pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Youll be advised to have another test after you complete your treatment.
What’s The Treatment For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is treated with antibiotics. If you take the treatment according to instructions, its over 95% effective at treating chlamydia.
- Youll be given a course of antibiotics for 3 or 7 days or sometimes up to two weeks.
- If theres a high chance you have chlamydia, treatment may be started before the results of the test are back. Youll always be given treatment if a sexual partner is found to have chlamydia.
- You may also need other treatment if complications have occurred.
- Tell the doctor or nurse if youre pregnant, or think you might be, or youre breastfeeding. This may affect the type of antibiotic youre given.
- Complementary therapies cant cure chlamydia.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does A Chlamydia Treatment Cost
Chlamydia Can Harm Your Pregnancy Or Reproductive Health
Can chlamydia harm your unborn baby or your future reproductive health? Many people will say no, but thats not true. The infection can cause complications for both pregnancy and fertility.
Chlamydia can cause many complications for pregnant women and their babies. When the infection is left untreated, it can cause preterm delivery. Babies who are born prematurely can have problems with their lungs, hearts, or brains. The infection can spread to the baby, resulting in pneumonia, eye infections, and other complications. Due to these risks, pregnant women are routinely screened for chlamydia.
Chlamydia can cause many complications for pregnant women and their babies. When the infection is left untreated, it can cause preterm delivery.
Chlamydia can also cause complications for women who want to get pregnant. If untreated chlamydia spreads to other parts of the reproductive system, like the uterus, those tissues can be damaged. This can cause infertility. Damage to the uterine tubes could also result in an ectopic pregnancy. This means a fertilized egg implants somewhere other than the uterus, usually inside the uterine tube. These pregnancies arent sustainable and may put the mothers life at risk.
There are many myths that are circulating about this common sexually transmitted infection. If youre concerned about chlamydia, see your doctor to get tested.
Practicing Safe Sex Methods
It is extremely important to practice safe sex methods in order for you to stop the spread or possible contraction of chlamydia. Abstaining from sex is the only 100% sure way to prevent spreading or contracting any sexually transmitted diseases, but there are other methods you can use to keep your chances of contracting or spreading chlamydia quite low. Safe sex methods you should seek to practice are:
Don’t Miss: How Long Does It Take To Catch Chlamydia