How To Test For Chlamydia
- Register your kit online. Use the unique ID included inside your kit and go to www.everlywell.com/register. Write your date of birth and the sample collection date on the transport tube provided by the kit.
- Collect your sample by urinating into the specimen collection cup thatâs included with the kit.
- Use the pipette to place the sample into a transport tube, and put the tube into the biohazard bag .
- Place the bag into the shipping envelope , apply the prepaid shipping label, and place your envelope in the mail. Your sample will then arrive at a laboratory, where it will be analyzed for chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- Just days later, youâll be notified that your results are ready. You can privately view your results online on our secure platform.
About Our Accredited Partner Lab
Your Nurx home tests will be analyzed at our partner laboratory, Molecular Testing Labs . MTL is a state-of-the-art lab that specializes in complex molecular testing and is CAP-accredited, meaning that it meets the scientifically rigorous standards of the College of American Pathologists. MTL is also CLIA-approved, achieving the US governments standards of quality and safety under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments. Your personal information is always anonymized and your personal health information is protected according to HIPAA law.
How Accurate Are At Home Chlamydia Tests
At home chlamydia tests are as accurate as those you would take in a clinical setting, provided that samples are collected correctly. Within a lab setting and at home, urine tests for chlamydia correctly identify a positive result 87% of the time, and correctly identify a negative result 99% of the time.
Self collected vaginal swabs identify a correct positive result 92% of the time and a correct negative result 98% of the time.
The most important factor that will determine the accuracy of your at-home chlamydia test is the quality of your sample. A good at-home STD test kit will include everything you need to take the sample correctly, but its still very important to make sure that you follow the instructions carefully to prevent a false result.
If youre taking a urine sample, most tests require that you collect first pass or first catch urine, which means that you must make sure to collect the first milliliters of urine that you pass. If your test includes a pouch for collection, you shouldnt overfill it, since it could dilute the sample and reduce the tests sensitivity. Some tests will also recommend that you use the first urine in the morning, or that you havent urinated 1-2 hours prior to taking the sample.
Also Check: Where Do I Go To Get Treated For Chlamydia
Getting Tested Is Essential For Treatment Of Chlamydia
The good news is that chlamydia is treatable. Treatment consists of antibiotics, which will be prescribed to you. While you can still contract this disease after youve been cured, antibiotics will elimimate chlamydia completely.
Getting an at home chlamydia test is simple:
- Order the test right online.
- Schedule testing at a lab.
- Be given a number without providing any personal information.
- Go to the lab and take a test.
- Results will be sent to you via email within three days.
Getting tested for chlamydia has never been easier. You do have the option of using your insurance, which will lower the cost of the test. Depending on the test that is taken, out-of-pocket expenses are between $79 and $249 depending on the test.
The test that youll be taking at home is called the Nucleic Acid Amplification Test . Known as the best test for chlamydia, this test will detect the bacteria that chlamydia causes the form called the trachomatis bacteria. This bacterium is only present when chlamydia is present.
CLIA certified labs will conduct the test. And you never have to draw blood to be tested for chlamydia. Instead, urine will be used for your test. The CDC recommends every woman get a Chlamydia test if they have a new sexual partner and are aged 25 or under. Chlamydia testing is recommended as a routine STD testing.
Once you go to the lab and take a test , youll receive your test results typically within three days. You wont need to fast or stop eating before taking the test.
What Should I Expect After A Chlamydia Test
After collecting a sample, your provider sends the sample to a lab. If youre using an at-home kit, you will mail the sample to a lab. The lab will test the sample to check for bacterial DNA. Your provider will contact you when the results are ready and discuss the next steps.
While youre waiting for results, its very important to avoid having sex. If you do have the infection and you have sex, you can spread it to others.
Read Also: Is It Possible To Not Pass Chlamydia
How Is Gonorrhea Transmitted
You can contract or transmit gonorrhea by having oral, , or vaginal sex.
Using a condom or other barrier method when engaging in sexual activity can go a long way toward lowering your chances of transmitting or contracting STIs like gonorrhea. Just keep in mind these barrier methods wont always completely eliminate your risk, especially if you dont use them properly.
Some evidence also suggests that oral gonorrhea may also be transmitted through French kissing, or kissing with tongue. However, more research is needed to truly understand the potential risk of transmission.
If youve developed gonorrhea before, you have a higher chance of contracting it again. Untreated gonorrhea can also
How To Order An Std Test Kit At A Reasonable Price
Fortunately, there are loads of payment options available on STDcheck.com, so you wont have any problems as far as the payment is concerned. You can pay with all major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express, as well as PayPal, Health Savings Accounts, money orders and cashiers checks.
After youve made a decision on what test kit to buy, navigate to Prices & Packages section, choose the test and click Order Now. Youll be required to provide some personal information and choose your preferable payment option and a Testing Center youd like to get tested at.
The cheapest individual test kit is the one for Hepatitis A, and it will cost you $24. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea test kits are priced at $89, whereas the package which includes both of them is just a bit more expensive at $129. However, It will save you whopping $60 off as compared the individual test price. Basic 10 Test Panel carries a price tag of $198, but you can also opt for the one with the HIV RNA Early Detection test, though its a bit more expensive at $349.
If you have any query or concern about my Stdcheck.com reviews, its price then then you can place your comments here.
Originally posted 2020-12-28 09:19:41.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Know If I Have Chlamydia Or Gonorrhea
What Type Of Symptoms Should You Look For
This is where things can get tricky!
One of the most notorious facts people are confronted with when they search for chlamydia testing near me is the fact that the infection will often not produce any noticeable symptoms. The problem is that this can cause people to never even realise they have the infection, causing it to fester and cause long-term complications while they unwittingly continue spreading it.
Naturally, the earlier you get a referral for an online chlamydia test the earlier you can detect the infection and get it appropriately treated with antibiotics. Remember you can still transmit it even if you show no symptoms.
Men and women can often experience symptoms of this infection differently. If you experience any of the following symptoms you should seek out chlamydia testing by talking to one of our doctors via video call.
- Irregular bleeding in-between menstrual cycles
- Pain and bleeding during or following intercourse
- Pain, discomfort and burning when urinating
- More frequent need to urinate
- ain or cramping in the lower abdominal area or pelvis
- Pain, discomfort and burning when urinating
- Watery or mucus-like discharge from the tip of the penis
- Swollen testicles that are sore, usually one of the two
How To Get An At
People who live in small towns where anyones coming and going could be easier to notice. My Lab Box at-home STD test kit can be ordered online where the test kit will be delivered to your home and the package doesnt tell where it comes from and what it contains. You can follow the steps as said in the instruction papers and mail it back to the mentioned address. Unlike Walgreens and CVS test kit which needs to be bought over the counter and exposing the personal identity while getting tested for it.
Recommended Reading: How To Tell If You Have A Uti Or Chlamydia
When Should I Test And Retest
Even if you suspect recent sexual activity might have exposed you to infection, these diseases have different incubation periods and window periods. Timing your test with these in mind will help you get the most accurate results.
- An incubation period is the time between infection and when symptoms begin.
- Window periods are the time between the initial infection and when a test will produce a positive result.
Window periods are the most important consideration when it comes to testing and transmission to others. You can get an accurate test result for some STDs if you take the test a week after a particular sexual encounter, but other STDs require more time before your test will be useful.
Its also important for some STDs to perform confirmation tests and retest after treatment to make sure your course of treatment successfully clears away the infection.
The chart below outlines minimum window periods for common STDs and indicates which ones require a retest after treatment. Some testing methods may detect infections before others, but that increased speed often comes at the expense of accuracy. You should follow these guidelines and take the best test you can find.
You May Like: How To Test For Chlamydia Female
Best For Detecting Infections Early: Health Testing Centers
- Pros: wide range of options, accurate, early detection
- Cons: some options are expensive
A person can choose from two kits that test for chlamydia and gonorrhea or a complete STI test.
After ordering the test, the individual visits a lab, where a technician collects the samples. If the results are positive, the person can have a free consultation with a doctor, who can order prescriptions if necessary.
This company has accreditation from the BBB, which gives it an A+ rating. It has received 5 out of 5 stars from an average of three customer reviews.
How Does An At
Companies that offer at-home STD testing for common sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia make the process simple, discreet, and convenient. All you have to do is order your test online or by calling the company.
You will receive the home collection kit by mail in a plain envelope for privacy. Youll activate the test and collect a sample , and use a prepaid shipping label to return the sample to the lab. After the lab analyzes your sample, you will receive confidential results, usually via a secure online account you set up when you order the kit. If tests are positive, some companies offer support like follow-up consultation with a medical professional.
Before taking a chlamydia test, you should avoid urinating a couple hours in advance, avoid douching or vaginal creams, and stop taking medications like antibiotics .
Which at-home chlamydia test should you choose?
You can get an at-home test for just chlamydia or select panel kits that screen for multiple STDs. A standard STD panel might include testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, syphilis, and trichomoniasis. Kits that test for chlamydia and gonorrhea are common. And a complete panel of STD tests may include a standard panel, plus testing for herpes, and three types of bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosis .
How Reliable Are At
While in-office STD tests may be considered the most reliable, the home test kits on our list also have a reputation for being accurate.
Its important that you dont rely on home testing in place of seeing your doctor if:
- you have any possible symptoms of an STI
- you have other important questions about your overall health
Read Also: Does Any Antibiotic Work For Chlamydia
Stds In Women And Men
Sexually transmitted diseases remain a major public health challenge in the U.S., especially among women, who disproportionately bear the long-term consequences of STDs.
For example, each year untreated STDs cause infertility in at least 24,000 women in the U.S., and untreated syphilis in pregnant women results in infant death in up to 40 percent of cases.
Testing and treatment are keys to reducing disease and infertility associated with undiagnosed STDs.
Wondering whether STDs in women differ to STDs in males? Or which STD most commonly affects females/males? What about the symptoms?
In Both Males And Females
Complications that may be seen in anyone include:
- Other STIs. Chlamydia and gonorrhea both make you more susceptible to other STIs, including human immunodeficiency virus . Having chlamydia can also increase your risk of developing gonorrhea, and vice versa.
- Reactive arthritis . Also called Reiters syndrome, this condition results from an infection in your urinary tract or intestines. Symptoms of this condition cause pain, swelling, or tightness in your joints and eyes, and a variety of other symptoms.
- Infertility. Damage to reproductive organs or to sperm can make it more challenging or, in some cases, impossible to become pregnant or to impregnate your partner.
Also Check: How Do You Test For Chlamydia In Men
How Does A Chlamydia Test Work
The most commonly used type of chlamydia test is called a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test . A NAAT detects the DNA of the bacteria that cause the chlamydia infection. You provide a sample of urine. Or your provider collects a sample of secretions from the vagina or urethra . The lab tests the sample for signs of the bacteria.
Best For Couples: Mylab Box
Type of Testing:Self-collected samples
STI Tests Available: Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, trichomoniasis, HPV, herpes, HIV, mycoplasma. PreP and vaginal discharge options are available.
Time to Receive Results:2 to 5 days
Cost: $79 to $369, $499 for a couples kit, coupons available
Like NURX, My Lab Box offers kits that allow you to self swab the mouth and rectum, not just test for genital STIs. They also have several additional test options, such as a kit that provides tests for both parts of a couple, and tests to diagnose different causes of vaginal discharge. It has some information about each STI, but no good information about testing windows. Physician consults are available if you test positive, and it may be possible to get a prescription for treatment. Otherwise, a certified STI counselor is available, but not a physician.
What Makes For A Good At
- It provides clear information about what STIs are being tested for
- You are able to get tested for any STI you might be worried about
- Results are provided in a clear manner, with access to a healthcare professional for more information
- The testing company will link you to treatment and/or further testing as appropriate
The Pros And Cons Of Taking Std Tests At Home
- Privacy: You dont need to leave the house or get out of your pajamas. You also dont need to interact with other humans. For some, this is a plus!
- Free follow-up care: While a follow-up appointment at the doctor means attending in person, online chats or video calls let you experience the same benefits from home.
- Flexible payment: Some brands accept insurance, while others take credit cards, PayPal, or even delayed payment options.
- Customization: As private as they are, at-home STD tests dont offer a customized or personal experience like a doctors office can. You cant always ask specific questions and get the answers you need.
- Treatment: While some products offer follow-up treatments, you may still have to go to a doctors office for treatment.
- Risk of human error: Without professional lab equipment at home, theres the risk of contaminated samples since youre not a doctor. Shipping delays can also render your sample useless, although these instances are rare.
A lot of these sites have a wide range of services and can even act as an online doctor, although we do recommend speaking to a healthcare professional as well.
Also Check: Once You Get Chlamydia Do You Have It Forever
Can You Pass Drug Test
Obviously yes! There are plenty ways to pass a drug test one of the prior things you must do to pass any kind of drug test is drinking a lot of water, in the specific case of urine test it helps to dilute the urine sample. In the case of other drug tests like salivas test water is also a good idea to pass unforeseen drug tests because of many drugs tend to be soluble.
Everlywell Male Std Test
Why Its the Best: EverlyWell offers a variety of at-home testing services, from COVID-19 to celiac disease. The healthcare services comprehensive at-home STD test kit is a reliable option that tests for a wide variety of common STIs.
- Price: $169.00
- Tests for: Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis C , HIV, Syphilis, and Trichomoniasis
- Whats included: This comprehensive six-test panel includes a finger prick sample collection, a urine sample collection and materials for shipping back to the lab. They also have outreach support for positive results, which includes access to an independent physician network and treatment.
Read Also: How Do You Detect Chlamydia