Get Chlamydia Treatment Online
The board certified doctors at PlushCare commonly prescribe antibiotics to treat chlamydia. If you have chlamydia dont delay your treatment, you can get a prescription sent to your local pharmacy today.
The doctor will work with you to determine the best medication for you to take and will check on you to ensure the care plan is working.
You can book an appointment here, or download the free PlushCare mobile app. The average appointment lasts just 15 minutes and 97% of conditions are successfully treated on the first visit.
Read on to learn more about chlamydia.
How Does Chlamydia Treatment Work
Chlamydia treatment works by stopping the bacteria that causes chlamydia from producing an important protein which it needs to multiply. This stops the bacteria from growing and replicating, so your symptoms should improve as your body is cleared of chlamydia.
The first line treatment for chlamydia in the UK is doxycycline. The usual dose is one tablet to be taken twice daily for 7 days. You can swallow doxycycline tablets whole with water and take them with or without food. You should sit up for about 30 minutes after each dose to prevent symptoms of throat irritation or stomach upset.
What Is Expedited Partner Therapy
Expedited Partner Therapy is a strategy for treating the sex partners of persons diagnosed with chlamydia trachomatis . EPT allows health care providers to provide patients with medication or a prescription to deliver to his/her sex partner without a prior medical evaluation or clinical assessment of those partners.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Know If You Have Chlamydia Male
Female Difficulties Of Without Treatment Chlamydia
Some ladies develop PID, an infection that can harm the womb, cervix, and also ovaries. PID is an uncomfortable condition that often needs healthcare facility treatment.
Women can additionally end up being sterile if chlamydia is left neglected since the fallopian tubes might come to be scarred.
Expecting women with the infection can pass the microorganisms to their babies throughout birth, which can trigger eye infections as well as pneumonia in babies. How Much Is Chlamydia Medication
How Long Does It Take For Chlamydia To Go Away After Treatment
Chlamydia infection usually clears after one week of completing your antibiotic treatment. During treatment, you should avoid drinking alcohol as this can reduce how effective the antibiotic is.
You should also avoid having sex during treatment as you could still pass on the infection to your partner. It is common for partners to pass chlamydia between one another if they continue to have sex without completing their treatment, causing repeated infections.
Read Also: Will 1000mg Of Azithromycin Cure Chlamydia
Examples Of Averted Cost Calculations
To illustrate the use of the formulas, we examined the estimated costs averted by the treatment of 1,000 people with chlamydia, 500 people with gonorrhea, and 100 people with syphilis, assuming that everyone treated had a laboratory-confirmed infection. We also estimated the costs averted by HIV counseling and testing of 2,000 people. In all of these examples, we assumed that 60% of those served were men, and that 67% of the men were heterosexual.
What Medication Is Prescribed For Chlamydia
Chlamydia is a bacterial sexually transmitted infection . While most patients who have been treated for chlamydia are asymptomatic, it is imperative to be treated if you or a partner may have been exposed. The CDC recommended treatment for chlamydia is Azithromycin 1 g by mouth in a single dose or Doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice a daily for 7 day. These options are equally as effective and chosen based on preference and patience tolerance to antibiotics.
How Long Is A Private Prescription Valid For
A private prescription is valid for 6 months from the date that it was prescribed. Any repeats on your prescription are valid indefinitely, provided that the first repeat is dispensed within 6 months from the date on the prescription. Prescriptions for controlled drugs that fall under schedule 2, 3 or 4 are valid for 28 days from the date on the prescription. We are unable to dispense prescriptions for controlled drugs.
Can Chlamydia Be Stopped How Much Is Chlamydia Medication
The only certain means to prevent chlamydia is to not have genital, rectal, or oral sex.
Right usage of latex prophylactics significantly minimizes yet does not eliminate, the threat of catching or spreading out chlamydia. If your or your partner dislikes latex, you can utilize polyurethane prophylactics.
Read Also: How Can You Tell If Someone Has Chlamydia
Std Testing At A Doctors Office
Doctors offices, hospitals and freestanding urgent care medical clinics all offer STD testing. This is the most expensive STD screening option of the possibilities listed below because medical facilities will charge a doctors fee as well as lab fees and can total upwards of $400 for a complete STD test before prescription costs.
Is It Possible To Save Money On Nhs Prescriptions
Yes, it is. If you are someone who picks up NHS prescription medication regularly from the pharmacy, then you may benefit from applying for a NHS prescription prepayment certificate .
A PPC is a card that you pay for and display whenever you visit the pharmacy to pick up NHS prescription medication. Two types are available:
You can pay for your PPC online, over the phone or by post. If you opt for a three-month certificate, you will have to pay the one-off sum of £30.25 when you apply. If you opt for a 12-month certificate, you can either pay the one-off sum of £108.10 when you apply, or set up a Direct Debit .
Once you have applied and paid for your certificate , you will receive your card. You can then show this card in place of payment every time you pick up NHS prescription medication simply give the pharmacist your valid, in-date card and they will be able to hand over your medication free of charge.
You can also save money by getting your NHS prescriptions delivered for free with LloydsDirect by LloydsPharmacy.
You May Like: How Much Chlamydia Test Cost
Does Azithromycin Cure Chlamydia
Cure rates of 97% were reported in an analysis of 12 randomized clinical trials that investigated the use of azithromycin 1 gram for the treatment of chlamydia. That means for every 100 people with chlamydia who take azithromycin, 97 will be cured and 3 will not be cured.
This relies on the person with chlamydia taking azithromycin exactly as directed and not sharing the medication with anyone. Any sexual partners must be also treated.
Although azithromycin cures chlamydia in most people, it will not repair any permanent damage done to tissues by the disease.
If you have been symptomatic with chlamydia before treatment and your symptoms continue for more than a few days after receiving treatment, then ask to be re-evaluated by your health care provider.
Unfortunately, repeat infection with chlamydia is common. This means that even though azithromycin has cured your current infection with chlamydia, this does not mean you will not get chlamydia again. If your sexual partners have not been appropriately treated, you are at high-risk for reinfection. Having chlamydia multiple times puts women at high risk of fertility problems, ectopic pregnancy, and pelvic inflammatory disease. Infants born to mothers who are infected with chlamydia may develop chlamydial conjunctivitis and/or pneumonia. Chlamydial infection in infants can be treated with antibiotics.
Why Cant I Get Azithromycin For Chlamydia Anymore
Azithromycin used to be one of the recommended treatments for chlamydia but this has now changed. In September 2018 the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV released guidelines explaining that Azithromycin is no longer recommended for treating chlamydia because of increasing bacterial resistance to it. Now the only recommended first-line treatment for chlamydia is doxycycline.
You May Like: How Long Does Chlamydia Take To Clear Up
You May Like: How Does A Guy Know He Has Chlamydia
How Is Chlamydia Diagnosed
Chlamydia can be diagnosed with either a first-catch urine test or a swab collected from the endocervix or vagina in women, or a first-catch urine test or a swab collected from the urethra in men.
Self-collected vaginal swab testing is available and many women find this screening strategy highly acceptable.
- Geisler WM, Uniyal A, Lee JY, et al. Azithromycin versus Doxycycline for Urogenital Chlamydia trachomatis Infection. N Engl J Med. 2015 373:2512-2521. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1502599
- Workowski, K, Bolan G. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines, 2015. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
- WHO Guidelines for the Treatment of Chlamydia trachomatis. Geneva: World Health Organization 2016. 4, RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TREATMENT OF CHLAMYDIAL INFECTIONS. Available from:
- Chlamydia Treatment and Care. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/std/chlamydia/treatment.htm
- Chlamydia Treatment Information Sheet. Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Treating Other Types Of Chlamydial Infections
Two other conditions caused by Chlamydia trachomatis are uncommon in the United States, but very common worldwide:
- Lymphogranuloma venereum : Lymphogranuloma venereum is treated in the same way as standard genital chlamydia infections, but a longer course of therapy is used . Other care may also be required to treat genital ulcers or abscessed inguinal nodes if they occur.
- Trachoma: Trachoma is the leading preventable cause of blindness worldwide and often requires aggressive treatment with antibiotics and surgery addressing unsanitary living conditions is also necessary.
Don’t Miss: Does Chlamydia Go Away For Guys
When Can I Have Sex Again
If you had doxycycline, you shouldn’t have sex including vaginal, oral or anal sex, even with a condom until both you and your partner have completed treatment.
If you had azithromycin, you should wait 7 days after treatment before having sex .
This will help ensure you don’t pass on the infection or catch it again straight away.
Infant Pneumonia Caused By C Trachomatis
Chlamydial pneumonia among infants typically occurs at age 13 months and is a subacute pneumonia. Characteristic signs of chlamydial pneumonia among infants include a repetitive staccato cough with tachypnea and hyperinflation and bilateral diffuse infiltrates on a chest radiograph. In addition, peripheral eosinophilia occurs frequently. Because clinical presentations differ, all infants aged 13 months suspected of having pneumonia, especially those whose mothers have a history of, are at risk for , or suspected of having a chlamydial infection should be tested for C. trachomatis and treated if infected.
Specimens for chlamydial testing should be collected from the nasopharynx. Tissue culture is the definitive standard diagnostic test for chlamydial pneumonia. Nonculture tests can be used. DFA is the only nonculture FDA-cleared test for detecting C. trachomatis from nasopharyngeal specimens however, DFA of nasopharyngeal specimens has a lower sensitivity and specificity than culture. NAATs are not cleared by FDA for detecting chlamydia from nasopharyngeal specimens, and clinical laboratories should verify the procedure according to CLIA regulations . Tracheal aspirates and lung biopsy specimens, if collected, should be tested for C. trachomatis.
Erythromycin base or ethylsuccinate 50 mg/kg body weight/day orally divided into 4 doses daily for 14 days
Azithromycin suspension20 mg/kg body weight/day orally, 1 dose daily for 3 days
You May Like: Do They Test For Chlamydia When Donating Blood
How To Prevent Chlamydia
Below are some ways to prevent chlamydia
- Use condoms every time you have sex
- Discuss testing for sexually transmitted infections with your doctor or nurse
- Ask if you are due for your annual chlamydia screening
- See your doctor or nurse if you have any symptoms of chlamydia or another infection
- Do not have sex if you or your sexual partner has abnormal discharge, burning with urination, or a genital rash or sore
Who Can And Cant Take Doxycycline
Doxycycline can be taken by adults and children over 12 years old. Doxycycline is not usually recommended in pregnancy or when breastfeeding.
It isnât suitable for some people. To make sure this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- ever had an allergic reaction to doxycycline or any other medicine in the past
- kidney problems
Also Check: How Long Does Chlamydia Last Without Treatment
Don’t Miss: Medicine For Chlamydia At Cvs
How Long Does It Take To Show Up On A Test
There are several tests that you doctor might use to diagnose chlamydia:
- Urine test. Youll pee in a cup thats sent off to a laboratory testing facility to see if any chlamydia bacteria are present in your urine.
- Blood test. Your doctor will use a sterile needle to draw some of your blood and send it to a lab to see if antibodies to the chlamydia bacteria are present in your bloodstream.
- Swab. Your doctor will use a cotton round or stick to take a small sample of tissue or fluid that carries the infection, which is then sent to a lab to be cultured so that lab technicians can see what bacteria grows from the sample.
How long it takes for the results to show up depends on the test and on your specific health insurance plan.
- Urine tests take about 2 to 5 days to show a positive or negative result.
- Blood tests can come back with results in a few minutes if the blood is analyzed on site. But they can take a week or more if sent to an off-site lab.
- Swab results take about 2 to 3 days to show a positive or negative.
1 to 3 weeks to show up in people with vulvas.
Symptoms may take up a few months to show up. This is because bacteria are living creatures and have an incubation period that affects how long it takes them to cluster together and become infectious.
This incubation period is dependent on a variety of factors, including:
How Do I Know If I Have Chlamydia
The best way to know if you have chlamydia is to get tested. Most people will not have symptoms of chlamydia. If you do experience symptoms, the symptoms of chlamydia are a little bit different for men and women.
Women with symptoms may notice:
- An abnormal vaginal discharge
- A burning sensation when urinating
Symptoms in men can include:
- A discharge from their penis
- Pain and swelling in one or both testicles
Don’t Miss: Chlamydia Symptoms In Men Photos
Im Not Sure I Have Chlamydia What Should I Do
If you have chlamydia symptoms but havent gotten tested, you should book an appointment with a PlushCare doctor and request STD testing. The doctor will write you a lab order and direct you to a lab close to you where you can get tested. Your results will be sent back to the PlushCare doctor who can then begin treatment.
Is Azithromycin Better Than Doxycycline At Curing Chlamydia
STD guidelines still favor azithromycin over doxycycline for the treatment of chlamydia. This is because of the following reasons:
- Cure rates of azithromycin and doxycycline are similar, 97% and 98-100% respectively, according to a meta-analysis of 12 trials.
- Azithromycin is given as a single dose, doxycycline needs to be given for seven days, either as a once-daily or twice-daily dose.
- The dose of azithromycin can be easily supervised if need be it is much harder to supervise seven days of once daily or twice daily doxycycline treatment
- People are more likely to take a single dose of azithromycin than finish a seven-day course of doxycycline.
Recently, some reports have suggested that doxycycline may be more effective than azithromycin, particularly when medication adherence can be assured. There is also some concern that azithromycin may not be as effective for anogenital chlamydial infections.
Don’t Miss: Do I Have Chlamydia Male
Treatment For Chlamydia Is Quick And Easy
Two antibiotics are most often used for treating chlamydia:
- Azithromycin The main treatment for chlamydia is one gram of azithromycin, taken one time, says , deputy director of clinical services for public health with the Seattle and King County HIV and STD Program in Washington. That one gram comes as either two pills or four pills. It is not expensive.
- Doxycycline If your doctor prescribes doxycycline, you will take two pills daily for one week. It costs somewhat more than azithromycin.
Antibiotics can also cure chlamydia in infants, who can get the infection from their mothers, and treatment is essential for them. Without treatment, infants infected with chlamydia can develop conjunctivitis, which can cause blindness, or pneumonia, which can be fatal.
Can I Still Pass On Chlamydia During Treatment
Yes, you can still pass on chlamydia even if you are being treated this is because the treatment has not killed off enough of the bacteria to make you non-contagious.
It is not advisable to have sex, even with a condom, until you finish your treatment. If your partner also has chlamydia, you should not have sex until you have both finished the treatment. Otherwise, you risk catching/passing on the infection again.
All sexual contact including with a condom should be avoided during treatment.
Don’t Miss: What Can I Take For Chlamydia
Just Diagnosed Next Steps After Testing Positive For Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia
If youve just found out that you have gonorrhea or chlamydia, you may be trying to figure out what to do next. Here are the three most important steps that you can take:
WHY?Many people with gonorrhea and chlamydia dont have symptoms. Why does this matter? Because an untreated infection can lead to serious and permanent health problems, even if you never have symptoms. Gonorrhea and chlamydia can be cured with the right medicine from your doctor. Just make sure you take all of your medicine exactly as your doctor tells you to.
WHERE?Your regular doctor can prescribe antibiotics to cure the STD. But if you dont have insurance or want to see someone else for treatment, there are other low-cost or free options. You can get tested and treated at your local health departments STD clinic, a family planning clinic, a student health center, or an urgent care clinic. You can also find a clinic using GetTested and ask if they offer treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- In women, untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to health problems like ectopic pregnancy or infertility .
- In men, chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause a painful condition in the tubes attached to the testicles. In rare cases, this may prevent him from being able to have children.
- Untreated chlamydia or gonorrhea may also increase your chances of getting or giving HIV the virus that causes AIDS.