Chlamydia Symptoms In Men
The following symptoms can be signs of chlamydia in men:
- Pain or burning during urination
- Pain and swelling around the testicles
- Rectal pain or bleeding
Chlamydia symptoms in women include the following:
- Abnormal vaginal discharge that may have an unusual odor
- Painful urination
Less common chlamydia symptoms may include sore throat, right upper abdominal pain, or joint pain.
Women should be aware that other sexually transmitted infections can also cause changes in vaginal discharge. Visiting a healthcare provider for STD testing is the only way to know if you have chlamydia or whether another condition is causing your vaginal discharge symptoms.
How Is Chlamydia Treated
Chlamydia can be cleared up with antibiotics in about a week or two. But dont stop taking your medication just because your symptoms improve. Ask your provider about what follow-up is needed to be sure your infection is gone after youve finished taking your medicine.
Part of your treatment should also include avoiding sexual activities that could cause you to get re-infected and ensuring that any sexual partners who may be infected also get treatment. You should:
- Abstain from sex until your infection has cleared up. Starting treatment doesnt mean that youre in the clear. Take all your medication as your provider directs, and avoid all sexual contact in the meantime.
- Contact all sexual partners. Tell any sexual partners from the last 3 months that youre infected so that they can get tested, too.
- Get tested for other STIs . Its common to have multiple STIs, and its important to receive treatment thats tailored to each infection.
Antibiotics can get rid of your infection, but they cant reverse any harm the bacteria may have caused to your body before treatment. This is why its so important to get screened regularly for chlamydia, to see your provider at the first sign of symptoms, and get treatment immediately if youre infected.
Urgent Care For Std Symptoms In Men And Women
If you are experiencing symptoms of STI, UTI, bladder infection or kidney infection and need urgent or emergent urological care from an experienced urologist, specialists at New York Urology Specialists are available to help you.
If you cannot wait because the pain is severe or we are not open, if its after hours or on the weekend, if you have pain or go straight to the emergency room at New York Methodist Hospital or Maimonides Hospital Medical Center and ask that Dr. Alex Shteynshlyuger be called to take care of your urological needs. You can also get evaluated in the emergency room at New York Methodist Hospital or Maimonides Medical Center during the evening and night hours and on weekends.
Also Check: What Antibiotics Work For Chlamydia
What Do I Need To Know If I Get Treated For Chlamydia
If youre getting treated for chlamydia:
- Take all of your medicine the way your nurse or doctor tells you to, even if any symptoms you may be having go away sooner. The infection stays in your body until you finish the antibiotics.
- Your partner should also get treated for chlamydia so you dont re-infect each other or anyone else.
- Dont have sex for 7 days. If you only have 1 dose of medication, wait for 7 days after you take it before having sex. If youre taking medicine for 7 days, dont have sex until youve finished all of your pills.
- Get tested again in 3-4 months to make sure your infection is gone.
- Dont share your medicine with anyone. Your nurse or doctor may give you a separate dose of antibiotics for your partner. Make sure you both take all of the medicine you get.
- Even if you finish your treatment and the chlamydia is totally gone, its possible to get a new chlamydia infection again if youre exposed in the future. Chlamydia isnt a one-time-only deal. So use condoms and get tested regularly.
What Is Hiv Is Hiv The Same As Aids
Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV damages your immune system so that it can be very difficult for your body to fight off diseases and bad bacteria. HIV can lead to a more dangerous STD known as AIDS. While there is no cure for HIV, there are ways to manage it so that it does not get to this point.
Many people do not experience symptoms for the majority of the time they have HIV. In the early stages, you may experience flu-like symptoms such as:
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
HIV affects roughly 38,000 people every year. Because this virus can lead to serious health problems down the road, its important to get tested at some point for HIV so that you can manage it well. There are ways to manage it to significantly reduce the risk of passing it on to sexual partners or a baby during pregnancy. With the proper treatment, its very possible to have HIV and still live a long and healthy life.
Don’t Miss: How To Check Yourself For Chlamydia
What To Expect From Your Urgent Care Std Testing And Treatment
Sexually transmitted disease, or STD, testing is recommended for anyone who has ever been sexually active. You do not need to display symptoms of an STD to get treatment. It is possible to have an STD without experiencing any symptoms, and delaying treatment can cause long-term health problems, including infertility. Fortunately, you can get tested and treated at an urgent care office. Find out how this works.
Chlamydia Symptoms: What To Look For And Where To Get Help
Although easily treated, chlamydia can be difficult to detect because infected individuals rarely experience symptoms or they show mild signs of chlamydia which are easily mistaken for other conditions. If chlamydia is left untreated, the disease can have serious, lifelong consequences, such as infertility and pelvic inflammatory disease for women.
Because chlamydia is a silent STD, regular STD checks and well-woman visits are a must if youre sexually active.
Stages Of Syphilis In Adults
When To Seek Std Testing
In some cases, STDs have no symptoms, which is why many medical professionals recommend that anyone who has engaged in sexual activity get tested. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 20 million new sexually transmitted infections occur every year, and that can include those practicing safe sex. Nearly all types of STDs can be effectively treated and cured and those that cannot, such as HIV, can be appropriately managed with proper treatment.
Don’t Miss: Why Do I Still Have Chlamydia After Treatment
When To Get Tested For Stds
If you are not sure when you need to visit an urgent care for STD testing, here are some situations when you might want to consider visiting one of our convenient centers:
- Any time after you have unprotected sex, you should get tested 1-2 weeks after and then again 90 days later
- If you exhibit any symptoms of STDs
- Annually if youre a woman under 25
- Annually if youre sexually active and not in a mutually monogamous relationship
- Pregnant women, who may or may not be experiencing symptoms, should be tested for chlamydia and syphilis, regardless of their sexual history.
When To Contact Rapid Std Testing
Dont let self-consciousness or embarrassment stand in the way of essential testing and medical care. Contact us at Rapid STD Testing today if you:
- Engaged in unprotected sex. Everyone makes mistakes now you need a rapid, accurate diagnosis to protect your health.
- Have a new partner. If you and your partner want to stop using protection or are planning a pregnancy, get tested for STDs first.
- Have multiple partners. If you engage in sexual activity with multiple partners, physicians recommend getting tested once every 3 months.
- Need fast results. Rapid STD Testing provides accurate results within 1-3 business days.
- Need to protect your privacy. With Rapid STD Testing, nobody but you gets access to your results. You dont need to worry about confidential information leaking out to your partner, insurance provider, or anyone else.
- Live in a remote area. Rapid STD Testing operates over 2,500 testing facilities across the U.S. Wherever you live, you will find one of our labs near you.
Recommended Reading: Having Chlamydia For A Year
How Are Std Tested
The testing process may include a physical exam, the drawing of blood for a blood sample, a mouth swab to collect saliva, tissue, and cell samples, and urinating into a cup for a urine sample. The diagnosis may be made during the office visit or might take several days or weeks if samples are sent to the lab. Our lab is onsite, so we are proud to offer fast and accurate results.
Benefits Of Std Testing At An Urgent Care Facility
So, can urgent care test for STDs? Yes, and people often prefer to turn to an urgent care center rather than their primary care clinic when they need STD testing. Many patients experience a certain level of embarrassment when discussing STDs and prefer to broach this topic with a health care practitioner who doesnt know them personally.
Here are other benefits of getting tested for STDs in an urgent care facility:
- A quick care option. In most urgent care centers, you can get a walk-in or same-day appointment, quick testing, and a fast treatment recommendation. Depending on the type of STD test, you may expect a diagnosis within a few days.
- Flexible hours. Urgent care facilities are often open outside business hours, including early morning and late evening. Many urgent care centers open as early as 7 a.m. and operate as late as 9 p.m. on weekdays.
- Discreet treatment. Choosing an urgent care center for STD testing usually ensures a higher level of privacy. Some patients postpone essential STD testing or treatment because of self-consciousness. Visiting an urgent care center can help people avoid awkwardness or self-consciousness.
Depending on your insurance coverage, an urgent care center may be more affordable than visiting a hospital or a private practice. You may expect a similar level of care and medical competence with higher convenience and lower costs.
Don’t Miss: Antibiotics To Get Rid Of Chlamydia
Why Visit Urgent Care Clinic
The benefit of visiting an urgent care clinic is that you get immediate chlamydia test results. So you need not wait for long in anticipation of your test results. This also proves to be more convenient than having to visit the clinic again. In case you are positive, the doctor would prescribe treatment on the same day.
Another benefit is that the clinic conducts discreet testing. This saves you from the embarrassment often associated with STD testing.
Urgent care clinics offer a no-hassle approach towards testing and treatment of diseases. You can walk in without an appointment and the doctor would see you immediately or within a few minutes. You need not wait in a long line.
Doctors here are empathetic towards patients. You need to be honest with the doctor about your sexual life. Only then can they recommend an appropriate test and give you sound advice regarding STDs and their risks.
Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV, trich, and others are common STDs. The best part is that they are completely curable, except HIV. Those that are not can be managed well through proper therapies. Dont let these diseases play spoilsport in your life. Take control of your health and lead a fulfilling sexual life.
Most Common Stds To Test For At Gohealth Urgent Care
If youre sexually active, getting tested for sexually transmitted diseases/infections is crucial to your overall health. Teens and those under 25 are especially at risk for contracting STDs but anyone who is sexually active is at risk.
The statistics are quite eye-opening its estimated that one in two sexually active people will contract at least one of the most common STDs by age 25. And every year, 20 million new cases of STDs are reported every year in the US.
Looking at young people ages 15-24, they contract half of those annual cases, which is 10 million young adults every year. Even worse, only 12% of young adults surveyed will get tested for STDs.
What many people dont know is that STD testing is widely available, youre not limited to specialty clinics for STD testing in fact, you can just walk into most urgent care centers for STD testing at any time.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Gonorrhea And Chlamydia
Sti Vs Std: What Is The Difference
So why the confusion between sexually transmitted diseases and sexually transmitted infections? Well, the name change from STDs to STIs came about to address a common stigma or stereotype that developed over time, according to the Power to Decide.
For many years, all STDs were lumped together under the category of disease. The American Sexual Health Association mentions that the term infection rather than disease is more accurate because while diseases typically have identifiable symptoms, infections may not . Using the name STD also assumes that all sexually transmitted viruses are diseases but, in actuality, not all STDs turn into what is considered a disease. So in some cases STI is a more appropriate term.
Carenow Can Provide Diagnosis And Treatment
If you believe you are suffering from a sexually transmitted infection, consider visiting your local CareNow®. Since dealing with STDs arent something most people like to make known, CareNow® makes testing easy, efficient and discreet.
Our independent practitioners provide a full range of primary and urgent care services. Be sure to use our Web Check-In® online to avoid any wait times!
Disclaimer: Patients health can vary. Always consult with a medical professional before taking medication, making health-related decisions or deciding if medical advice is right for you.
Also Check: Does Chlamydia Feel Like A Yeast Infection
What Can Happen If Chlamydia Isnt Treated
Untreated chlamydia can put your health at risk. Make an appointment with your provider immediately if you notice any symptoms of chlamydia, and get regular STI screenings to avoid complications later.
Complications of chlamydia for people with vaginas
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease . PID is a serious condition that requires hospitalization. It can occur when an untreated STI, like chlamydia, damages your reproductive organs. PID can lead to infertility and chronic pelvic pain. It can also cause an ectopic pregnancy, which is life-threatening for the fetus and potentially deadly for the mother or gestational parent, too.
- Pregnancy complications. An untreated infection can lead to pre-term delivery. Also, if youre pregnant and have chlamydia, you can pass the infection on to your newborn. Babies born with chlamydia may have pneumonia or conjunctivitis that could lead to blindness if not treated.
Complications of chlamydia for people with penises
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Epididymitis. Infection can spread to the testicles and the tube that carries sperm to your testicles , causing symptoms like pain, swelling and tenderness in your testicles.
- Reduced fertility. Chlamydia can harm your sperm, negatively impacting your ability to conceive.
Complications of chlamydia that can affect all genders
Untreated chlamydia can:
Can I Rely On My Annual Physical To Detect Std
Sexually transmitted diseases are not routinely tested for during a womans annual gynecological exam or a mans annual check-up. It is also important to diagnose and receive treatment as soon as possible if a disease is contracted. If you see symptoms or have had unprotected sex, get tested right away.
You May Like: Is It Possible To Get Chlamydia With A Condom
How Long Does An Std Take To Show Up
If you might have been exposed to an STD, you might be thinking when does symptoms of STDs start? When symptoms start can vary, depending on the illness. Most will appear within 2 to 3 weeks of transmission, but some can take up to 6 weeks. This is why STD testing is recommended around 2 to 4 weeks after potential exposure.
Keep in mind even if you do not have symptoms, you may still be able to transmit the disease to others, so you may want to take precautions or avoid sexual contact until you can get tested.
Where To Get Tested For Stds
FastMed offers STD tests with no appointment needed. We are open with extended hours, making it easy for you to come in at a time that fits your schedule. If you are diagnosed, well recommend the best course of STD treatment. There is no cure for some STDs, but many STDs can be treated with antibiotics or other prescription medications. Treatment can also minimize the chance of spreading an STI to your partner. The next time you find yourself asking Where is there STD testing near me?, find your nearest FastMed location here.
* The content presented on this page is not intended to diagnose health problems or take the place of professional medical care.
Also Check: Is There A Natural Cure For Chlamydia