How Do You Get Chlamydia And Gonorrhea
- Engaging with multiple sexual partners in one year The more partners who engage with, the more likely you will be exposed to an infected person and contract an STD.
- Having unprotected sex Condoms can reduce the likelihood of you contracting an STD however, condoms are never 100% effective. If you are concerned you may have an STD, you should get tested regardless of whether you used a condom in your last sexual encounter.
- Younger than 24 Individuals younger than 24 tend to practice unprotected sex more often than other age groups and are less likely to be tested.
- Previous diagnosis of an STD Having already contracted an STD increases your bodys susceptibility to contracting another STD. It can be common for those who have contracted chlamydia to be at risk for contracting gonorrhea or HIV. If you contract gonorrhea, you are at a greater risk of contracting HIV.
Female Complications Of Untreated Chlamydia
Women can also become infertile if chlamydia is left untreated because the fallopian tubes may become scarred.
Complications With Untreated Chlamydia
Although the infection isnt too hard to get rid of, there can be complications in some individuals. Pregnant women who are infected with chlamydia are at risk of getting the pelvic inflammatory disease . If the condition isnt treated promptly, it can worsen and lead to a permanently damaged fallopian tube, ovaries, and uterus. This can lead to ectopic pregnancies and even infertility. PID from chlamydia can also give way to chronic pelvic pain.
Ifa pregnant woman doesnt get treated for chlamydia, her unborn baby can alsoget affected. The disease can be transmitted to the newborn baby and may causean eye infection or pneumonia. If a pregnant woman has chlamydia, it may alsoresult in premature child delivery.
Inmen with chlamydia, the complications include prostatitis, inflammation of thecoiled tube, and inflammation of the prostate gland. They are also at risk ofbecoming infertile.
Rectalinflammation is also a common complication of rectal chlamydia and can lead tosevere injuries in the area.
Don’t Miss: How Many Pills For Chlamydia
Related Questions Answered On Yanswers
- Is Gonorrhea and Chlamydia curable diseases, and lets say you have been experiencing the symptons for 5 days.?
- Q: Have I waited to long to see a doctor yet?
- A: yes they are both curable. See and doctor ASAP!
- If i HAD chlamydia or gonorrhea and it has scarred my reproductive system is it possible i can still conceive?
- Q: If I once became infected with a curable bacterial STD in the past, and got it treated but it had scarred my reproductive system or made me infertile, are there surgeries or ways in which would allow me to still concieve??????
- A: yes. but it is going to be more difficult for you because of that scaring. sometimes you can harvest your eggs and have them fertilized out side of the womb if you arent ovulating from the scaring. if your uterus is ok and doesnt have a lot of scaring they can put the fertivized eggs back inside and hopefully you have little one nine months later. it might be harder but dont give up. see a specialist if you need to. good luck!
Do I Need To Get Tested For Chlamydia
- If you are 24 or younger and have sex, you need to get tested for chlamydia.3 Chlamydia is most common in women between 15 and 24 years old.2 You need to get tested if you have had any symptoms of chlamydia since your last negative test result or if your sex partner has chlamydia.
- If you are older than 24, you need to get tested if, in the past year or since your last test, you:3
- Had a new sex partner
- Had your sex partner tell you they have chlamydia
- Traded sex for money or drugs
- Have had chlamydia or another STI in the past
- Did not use condoms during sex and are in a relationship that is not monogamous, meaning you or your partner has sex with other people
You also need to be tested if you are pregnant or if you have any symptoms of chlamydia.
Don’t Miss: Will A Zpack Treat Chlamydia
What Causes Chlamydia In Women
Chlamydia is a bacterium that causes an infection that is very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread and the symptoms it produces. Like gonorrhea, the chlamydia bacterium is found in the cervix and urethra and can live in the throat or rectum. Both infected men and infected women frequently lack symptoms of chlamydia infection. Thus, these individuals can unknowingly spread the infection to others. Another strain of Chlamydia trachomatis, which can be distinguished in specialized laboratories, causes the STD known as lymphogranuloma venereum, which affects the lymph glands.
Chlamydia can be detected on material collected by swabbing the cervix during a traditional examination using a speculum, but noninvasive screening tests done on urine or on self-collected vaginal swabs are less expensive and sometimes more acceptable to patients. While culturing of the organism can confirm the diagnosis, this method is limited to research laboratories and forensic investigations. For routine diagnostic use, newer and inexpensive diagnostic tests that depend upon identification and amplification of the genetic material of the organism have replaced the older, time-consuming culture methods.
Can Chlamydia Be Prevented
The only sure way to prevent chlamydia is to not have vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
Correct usage of latex condoms greatly reduces, but does not eliminate, the risk of catching or spreading chlamydia. If your or your partner is allergic to latex, you can use polyurethane condoms.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Recommended Reading: Can You Order Chlamydia Treatment Online
Overview Of Chlamydia Treatments
Due to the advancement of the field of medicine, there are already various ways of how you can treat Chlamydia infection. There are already antibiotics formulated which has the power to kill the causative agent of the condition. The detection of the specific antibiotic that you will use depends on the findings of the doctor. In addition, you have to make sure that you will take the medications prescribed to you in a regular basis. This is to avoid any possible drug resistance that may happen. Overall, those who have STD do not need to worry much. This is among the STDs that are highly curable nowadays. Success rate is high after you underwent proper treatment regimen.
Possible Treatment For Chlamydia
As per medical professionals, Chlamydia can be easily treated with the help of antibiotic therapy. These antibiotics can be assigned for the 7-day course with a single dose per day. It is essential to stay away from sexual activity for these 7 days so that infection can be controlled with ease and your partner does not get infected with it.
The commonly known antibiotics for this chlamydia in women treatment are Doxycycline and Azithromycin but professionals may also recommend few other antibiotics for this treatment. In case if the lady affected with Chlamydia is pregnant that few other antibiotics can also be used as like ethyl succinate, erythromycin, and amoxicillin but pregnant ladies should not consume doxycycline. It is also essential to make your partner aware about the disease and bring him to the medical professional to undergo important tests.
Also Check: Chlamydia Treatment Next Day Delivery
How Can You Test For Gonorrhea And Chlamydia At Home
You dont need to visit a lab, clinic, or doctors office to test for STDs. You can take this test in the comfort of your own home thanks to myLAB Box. Simply follow these steps:
- Order your STD panel kit online on the myLAB box website. Dont worry, we even include free shipping! We offer discreet shipping, which means your neighbors wont know you are receiving an STD test in the mail.
- Test yourself at any time and from any place using the easy-to-follow instructions. Your testing kit will include everything you need to complete the test. This part only takes five minutes!
- Send your samples back to the lab with the pre-paid return envelope that comes with your kit.
- Get results online in a matter of days. Results are typically sent within 2-5 days. Once you receive our email, you can log into a secure portal for your private results.
- If you test positive for gonorrhea or chlamydia, you have the option of scheduling a phone consultation with a medical professional to discuss your results. The physician will answer your questions, address your concerns, and help you understand what steps you need to take next.
Dont Miss: Does Garlic Get Rid Of Chlamydia
Chlamydia Is It Curable
Chlamydia is an usual sexually transmitted disease that can infect both males and females. It can create significant, irreversible damage to a ladys reproductive system. Chlamydia Is It Curable
This can make it difficult or difficult for her to get pregnant later on. Chlamydia can also cause a possibly fatal ectopic pregnancy a maternity that occurs outside the womb.
Don’t Miss: Are There Other Ways To Get Chlamydia
How Often Should I Get Screened For Stis
Because STIs are so widespread, its a good idea to get tested from time to time especially since STIs dont always cause obvious symptoms. All people between 13 and 64 years old should be checked for HIV at least once.
How often you need to be screened varies from person to person. You may need to be screened more often if you:
Are under the age of 25
Have a sexual partner with an STI
You May Like: How Can I Get Chlamydia
Burning Sensation When Urinating
Chlamydia can cause a burning sensation when you urinate. Its easy to mistake this for a symptom of a urinary tract infection.
You might also feel like you have the urge to urinate more often than usual. And when you do go to urinate, only a little bit comes out. Your urine might also smell unusual or look cloudy.
If you have chalmydia, you might also feel some pain during sex, especially intercourse.
You may also some bleeding and lingering irritation after any type of sexual activity involving penetration.
Also Check: Can Doxycycline Cure Gonorrhea And Chlamydia
New Variant Of Chlamydia Trachomatis
A new variant Chlamydia trachomatis strain has been recently isolated in Sweden , which has a 377 bps deletion in a portion of the plasmid that is the target area for some of the NAATs. Consequently these tests often give false negative results when presented with this strain. Therefore, it is important to select primers for NAAT carefully particularly those targeting the endogenous plasmids. The symptoms and treatment of this strain do not differ from those for normal chlamydiae. So far, this strain has been found in Sweden and Norway. The clinicians and microbiologists should remain vigilant for suspicious negative results as well as unexplained fall in positive results. However, other commercially available NAAT systems that use a different sequence accurately detect this agent.
Can Women Who Have Sex With Women Get Chlamydia
Yes. It is possible to get chlamydia, or any other STI, if you are a woman who has sex only with women. Chlamydia lives in the reproductive tract of an infected woman and can pass to a sex partner, whether male or female.
Talk to your partner about her sexual history before having sex, and ask your doctor or nurse for an STI test if you are at risk.6
Read Also: Gc Chlamydia Urine Test Quest
Epidemiology Of Chlamydia In Canada
Chlamydia has been a nationally notifiableNote i infection in Canada since 1991. Reported rates of the infection are based on the number of newly diagnosed cases reported to provincial/territorial health ministries and then to the Public Health Agency of Canada . However, as chlamydia may not show symptoms, many cases may be undiagnosed and therefore not reported.
Chlamydia is most frequently diagnosed among young women aged 15 to 19 and 20 to 24. Women in these age groups are more than twice as likely to be diagnosed with the infection as similarly aged men. Because reported rates are based only on diagnosed cases, testing is key to monitoring rates.
Figure 1 illustrates the dramatic rise in reported rates of chlamydia among young women in Canada since 1991 when the infection first became a nationally notifiable infection. Reported rates of chlamydia have increased in recent years after declining from 1992 to 1997. According to data from the Agency, from 1997 to 2011, the reported rate of chlamydia among 15 to 19 year-old females rose from 971.3 per 100,000 to 1881.6, an increase of 93.7%Footnote6. Among females aged 20 to 24 years, the rate rose from 924.1 to 2113.0, an increase of 128.6%.
Figure 1: Reported rates per 100,000 of chlamydia among females aged 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 1991-2011, Canada
How Often Should I Get Checked For Chlamydia
Sexual health check-ups are recommended for anyone who is sexually active. Frequency of testing also depends on your STI risk:
- An annual sexual health check-up is highly recommended if you are sexually active especially if you are under 25.
- Get checked more often during the year if you frequently change sexual partners.
- Remember, you are at greater risk if you have sex without a condom with 1 or multiple sexual partners.
Also Check: Does A Zpack Cure Chlamydia
Can Chlamydia Go Away On Its Own
It is highly unlikely for chlamydia to go away on its own. Although the symptoms may subside temporarily, the infection may persist in the body in the absence of treatment . It is important to seek diagnosis and timely treatment to get rid of the infection.
If treatment is not sought, chlamydia can lead to the following serious complications:
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases or PID
- Fitz-Hugh-Curtis Syndrome
- Untreated chlamydia in pregnant women can cause serious consequences such as preterm delivery , ophthalmia neonatorum , and pneumonia in the newborn.
- Reactive arthritis may develop in men and women following chlamydia infection.
- Men have less symptoms linked to chlamydia compared with women. Chlamydia infection can sometimes lead to epididymitis , causing pain and fever. Rarely, chlamydia can cause infertility in men.
What Are Chlamydia Symptoms
Chlamydia in women and people with female reproductive organs is often asymptomatic. This means that people often do not experience any discomfort or notice any changes while infected.
Without any symptoms, people may be infected and not know it. Some people may have very mild or vague symptoms after they are infected, which can be confused with a urinary tract infection or vaginal infection .
You May Like: If You Take Antibiotics For Chlamydia
Don’t Miss: How To Know Chlamydia Is Gone
Can Chlamydia Be Mistaken For Gonorrhea
One of the most distinct similarities between both chlamydia and gonorrhea are the symptoms. Both infections can easily go unnoticed as its common to experience little to no signs or symptoms. Although, when symptoms do appear, they tend to be quite similar, these include:
- Painful urination
- Bleeding between periods
- Burning sensation in genitals
The most reliable way to find out more about your sexual health and whether or not you have contracted chlamydia or gonorrhea is through a reliable lab test.
See also:What are the Most Common STDs?
What Happens If I Dont Get Treated
The initial damage that chlamydia causes often goes unnoticed. However, chlamydia can lead to serious health problems.
If you are a woman, untreated chlamydia can spread to your uterus and fallopian tubes . This can cause pelvic inflammatory disease . PID often has no symptoms, however some women may have abdominal and pelvic pain. Even if it doesnt cause symptoms initially, PID can cause permanent damage to your reproductive system. PID can lead to long-term pelvic pain, inability to get pregnant, and potentially deadly ectopic pregnancy .
Men rarely have health problems linked to chlamydia. Infection sometimes spreads to the tube that carries sperm from the testicles, causing pain and fever. Rarely, chlamydia can prevent a man from being able to have children.
Also Check: Can You Cure Chlamydia Over The Counter
Is Chlamydia Serious
Although chlamydia does not usually cause any symptoms and can normally be treated with a short course of antibiotics, it can be serious if it’s not treated early on.
If left untreated, the infection can spread to other parts of your body and lead to long-term health problems, especially in women.
In women, untreated chlamydia can cause pelvic inflammatory disease , ectopic pregnancy and infertility.
In men, in rare cases, chlamydia can spread to the testicles and epididymis , causing them to become painful and swollen. This is known as epididymitis or epididymo-orchitis .
It can also sometimes cause reactive arthritis in men and women.
This is why it’s important to get tested and treated as soon as possible if you think you might have chlamydia.
Testing for chlamydia is done with a urine test or a swab test.
You do not always need a physical examination by a nurse or doctor.
Anyone can get a free and confidential chlamydia test at a sexual health clinic, a genitourinary medicine clinic or a GP surgery.
In England, if you’re a woman under 25 years old, you may be offered a chlamydia test when you visit some health services, for example a pharmacy or GP. This offer is part of the National Chlamydia Screening Programme .
If you’re offered a chlamydia test you should consider taking it.
If you’re a woman, sexually active and under 25 in England, it’s recommended that you have a chlamydia test once a year, and when you have sex with new or casual partners.