Will I Need To Go Back To The Clinic
If you take your antibiotics correctly, you may not need to return to the clinic.
However, you will be advised to go back for another chlamydia test if:
- you had sex before you and your partner finished treatment
- you forgot to take your medication or didn’t take it properly
- your symptoms don’t go away
- you’re pregnant
If you’re under 25 years of age, you should be offered a repeat test for chlamydia 3 to 6 months after finishing your treatment because you’re at a higher risk of catching it again.
What Is The Dosage Of Azithromycin For Chlamydia
The recommended dosage of azithromycin for chlamydia is 1 gram as a single dose. This dose may be taken morning or night and can be taken with or without food. Another name for azithromycin is Zithromax.
If you have taken your dose of azithromycin on an empty stomach and your stomach has become a bit upset or you feel sick, it is Ok to eat some food, which may help to settle it.
A 500mg dose of azithromycin is not recommended by guidelines to cure chlamydia. There is also a chance it may increase the risk of C. trachomatis bacteria becoming resistant to it. If you have only taken or only been prescribed a 500mg dose of azithromycin, you need to return to your doctor to get a 1 gram dose prescribed. You should never share your dose of azithromycin with another person.
Is Chlamydia Trachomatis Resistant To Antibiotics
It can occur that these organisms do not respond to widely effective antibiotics such as moxicillin with full resistance to one or more of the two. C. has stated that he favors legalization of cannabis. In vitro studies, there are organisms that pose an infection-resistant health risk for trachomatis, known as heterotypic resistance. The trachomatis population contains both susceptible and resistant organisms as well.
Read Also: Do You Have Symptoms With Chlamydia
Signs And Symptoms Of Chlamydia:
As per the Centers for Disease Control estimates that 75% of women and 50% of men dont recognize the symptoms of chlamydia. So, here we are explaining you the signs and symptoms of chlamydia which helps you to recognize the problem early.
Chlamydia symptoms in women include lower abdominal pain, painful urination, painful sexual intercourse, vaginal discharge, bleeding after sex and between periods, inflammation or infection in the eyes, rectal pain and discharge, persistent sore throat, fever, nausea, lower back pain, etc.
Chlamydia symptoms in men include painful urination, testicular tenderness, and swelling, rectal pain and discharge, cloudy or thick discharge from the penis, sore throat, redness or itching along with swelling at the opening of the urethra, etc.
The most common risk factors for chlamydia include improper usage of condoms, multiple sexual partners, having unprotected sex, being sexually active or having a partner who is considered at high risk, etc. However, the study brings to light new information about the potential risk factor is that the exact reason behind this disease is unclear till now. In general, if youre diagnosed with chlamydia then your doctor will prescribe an oral antibiotic for a period of 5 10 days .
What Can Happen If Chlamydia Isnt Treated
Untreated chlamydia can put your health at risk. Make an appointment with your provider immediately if you notice any symptoms of chlamydia, and get regular STI screenings to avoid complications later.
Complications of chlamydia for people with vaginas
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease . PID is a serious condition that requires hospitalization. It can occur when an untreated STI, like chlamydia, damages your reproductive organs. PID can lead to infertility and chronic pelvic pain. It can also cause an ectopic pregnancy,which is life-threatening for the fetus and potentially deadly for the mother or gestational parent, too.
- Pregnancy complications. An untreated infection can lead to pre-term delivery. Also, if youre pregnant and have chlamydia, you can pass the infection on to your newborn. Babies born with chlamydia may have pneumonia or conjunctivitis that could lead to blindness if not treated.
Complications of chlamydia for people with penises
Untreated chlamydia can cause:
- Epididymitis. Infection can spread to the testicles and the tube that carries sperm to your testicles , causing symptoms like pain, swelling and tenderness in your testicles.
- Reduced fertility. Chlamydia can harm your sperm, negatively impacting your ability to conceive.
Complications of chlamydia that can affect all genders
Untreated chlamydia can:
Recommended Reading: Can You Get Rid Of Chlamydia For Good
How To Take It
Always swallow your doxycycline capsule whole and have it with a full glass of water .
You can take this medicine with or without food. However youre less likely to feel sick if you have it with food.
Its important to take doxycycline while youre in an upright position. You can be sitting, standing or walking. This will stop the medicine irritating your food pipe or stomach.
Read Also: Does Medexpress Test For Chlamydia
Can Chlamydia Come Back On Its Own
For people who were treated for this infection, it is perhaps not time to worry yet. Reemergence doesn`t happen that often, and when this infection return, it can still be treated. But if it does happen for a case to repeat itself, it may not be the right moment to blame the partner for cheating yet.
Recommended Reading: Chlamydia Heal On Its Own
How Long Does It Take For Chlamydia To Go Away
How long does it take for Chlamydia to clear up? Can you have Chlamydia for years and not know it? These are questions that give headache to a lot of women at some point in their lives.
Chlamydia is a bacterial infection with the Chlamydia infectious agent, which is transmitted through sexual contact. It`s among the most common STDs in the world. Chlamydia infects the urethra in men and the cervix, urethra and superior reproductive organs in women. Chlamydia can also infect the rectum, eye surface and eyelids.
An infected mother can transmit the infection to her baby during childbirth. Between 50% and 70% of infants are born from infected mothers. They acquire the infection in the eyes, rectum, vagina and the back of the throat. Between 30% and 40% of these infected neonates develop complications, like conjunctivitis or pneumonia.
Chlamydia increases the risk of human immunodeficiency virus infection, in case of exposure.
Treatment For Chlamydia Is Quick And Easy
Two antibiotics are most often used for treating chlamydia:
- Azithromycin The main treatment for chlamydia is one gram of azithromycin, taken one time, says , deputy director of clinical services for public health with the Seattle and King County HIV and STD Program in Washington. That one gram comes as either two pills or four pills. It is not expensive.
- Doxycycline If your doctor prescribes doxycycline, you will take two pills daily for one week. It costs somewhat more than azithromycin.
Antibiotics can also cure chlamydia in infants, who can get the infection from their mothers, and treatment is essential for them. Without treatment, infants infected with chlamydia can develop conjunctivitis, which can cause blindness, or pneumonia, which can be fatal.
Recommended Reading: What Antibiotic Is Used For Chlamydia
Getting Treated For Chlamydia And Often Gonorrhea
If you have your own doctor, he will prescribe the antibiotics you need to treat chlamydia. If you dont have your own doctor, you can often find free or low-cost care at either a Planned Parenthood site or a community health clinic.
Listen carefully to the instructions for taking the medicine that you are given by the doctor or other healthcare provider, and follow them closely.
Ask questions if you dont understand something. Also, if you have other questions as you take your medicine, you can always call the pharmacist for help. They are often easier to reach than the doctor.
If you test positive for chlamydia, your healthcare provider is likely to also recommend that you be treated for gonorrhea. This is because the cost of treating gonorrhea is less than the cost of testing for the infection.
Is It Necessary To Take Azithromycin For Chlamydia
Not needed: Azithromycin 1 gram for one dose is adequate treatment of chlamydia. Make sure your partner is treated as well. partner tests positive for chlamydia. i have a upper respiratory infection and am on bactrium 875mg 2x daily for 10 days. will that kill the chlamydia infection if i am infected too or do i need to be seen?
Recommended Reading: How Long After Getting Treated For Chlamydia
What Do They Prescribe For Chlamydia
If you are diagnosed with chlamydia, your doctor will prescribe oral antibiotics. A single dose of azithromycin or taking doxycycline twice daily for 7 to 14 days are the most common treatments and are the same for those with or without HIV. With treatment, the infection should clear up in about a week.
Doxycycline Resistance And T Pallidum
Although serological failure, defined as a lack of 4-fold decline in rapid plasma reagin titres following therapy, was observed in patients treated with doxycycline , no resistance study that could explain treatment failure was conducted and currently a unique study concerns doxycycline resistance of T. pallidum. In this study, Xiao et al. investigated the presence of the G1058C point mutation in the 16S rRNA gene associated with decreased susceptibility to doxycycline and found no mutation among 2253 whole blood specimens sampled from Chinese patients with secondary or latent syphilis between 2013 and 2015.
You May Like: Early Signs Of Chlamydia In Men
Does The Treatment Work
Usually, yes. You can infect another sex partner as soon as you get chlamydia. Most women and some men do not have early signs of the disease.
A pregnant women can also pass on the infection to her baby as it is being born. This can lead to infection of the eyes and lungs in the infant. It is important to inform people you have had sex with during the past 3 months because they may have the disease and not know they need treatment. Your public health nurse will contact your partner if you prefer. Your name will be kept confidential.
Is There An Over Counter Treatment For Chlamydia
No, the CDC recommended treatment for chlamydia requires a prescription, but you do not need to visit the doctors office in person to get a prescription. Technology has made doctor visits online quick and easy. Just complete an online consultation visit and a prescription can be sent to a local pharmacy.
Also Check: How Quickly Does Azithromycin Work For Chlamydia
Infant Pneumonia Caused By C Trachomatis
Chlamydial pneumonia among infants typically occurs at age 13 months and is a subacute pneumonia. Characteristic signs of chlamydial pneumonia among infants include a repetitive staccato cough with tachypnea and hyperinflation and bilateral diffuse infiltrates on a chest radiograph. In addition, peripheral eosinophilia occurs frequently. Because clinical presentations differ, all infants aged 13 months suspected of having pneumonia, especially those whose mothers have a history of, are at risk for , or suspected of having a chlamydial infection should be tested for C. trachomatis and treated if infected.
Specimens for chlamydial testing should be collected from the nasopharynx. Tissue culture is the definitive standard diagnostic test for chlamydial pneumonia. Nonculture tests can be used. DFA is the only nonculture FDA-cleared test for detecting C. trachomatis from nasopharyngeal specimens however, DFA of nasopharyngeal specimens has a lower sensitivity and specificity than culture. NAATs are not cleared by FDA for detecting chlamydia from nasopharyngeal specimens, and clinical laboratories should verify the procedure according to CLIA regulations . Tracheal aspirates and lung biopsy specimens, if collected, should be tested for C. trachomatis.
Erythromycin base or ethylsuccinate 50 mg/kg body weight/day orally divided into 4 doses daily for 14 days
Azithromycin suspension 20 mg/kg body weight/day orally, 1 dose daily for 3 days
What Do I Need To Know If I Get Treated For Chlamydia
If youre getting treated for chlamydia:
- Take all of your medicine the way your nurse or doctor tells you to, even if any symptoms you may be having go away sooner. The infection stays in your body until you finish the antibiotics.
- Your partner should also get treated for chlamydia so you dont re-infect each other or anyone else.
- Dont have sex for 7 days. If you only have 1 dose of medication, wait for 7 days after you take it before having sex. If youre taking medicine for 7 days, dont have sex until youve finished all of your pills.
- Get tested again in 3-4 months to make sure your infection is gone.
- Dont share your medicine with anyone. Your nurse or doctor may give you a separate dose of antibiotics for your partner. Make sure you both take all of the medicine you get.
- Even if you finish your treatment and the chlamydia is totally gone, its possible to get a new chlamydia infection again if youre exposed in the future. Chlamydia isnt a one-time-only deal. So use condoms and get tested regularly.
Don’t Miss: I Got Treated For Chlamydia
What Is The Best Home Remedy For Chlamydia
The only consistently proven cure for chlamydia is antibiotics. There are a few products and home remedies out there recommended by countless websites for curing chlamydia at home. Unfortunately, the results of these treatments can be inconsistent and never involve the use of actual antibiotics. The only guaranteed method of treating bacterial infections, like chlamydia, is antibiotics.
What Happens If Chlamydia Isn’t Treated
Only some people who have chlamydia will have complications. If chlamydia is treated early, its unlikely to cause any long-term problems. But, without proper treatment, the infection can spread to other parts of the body. The more times you have chlamydia the more likely you are to get complications.
- If you have a vulva, chlamydia can spread to other reproductive organs causing pelvic inflammatory disease . This can lead to long-term pelvic pain, blocked fallopian tubes, infertility and ectopic pregnancy .
- In people with a vulva, chlamydia can also cause pain and inflammation around the liver, though this is rare. This usually gets better with the correct antibiotic treatment.
- If you have a penis, chlamydia can lead to infection in the testicles. If this isnt treated, theres a possibility it could affect your fertility but more research is needed to understand how likely this is.
- Rarely, chlamydia can lead to inflammation of the joints. This is known as Sexually Acquired Reactive Arthritis and is sometimes accompanied by inflammation of the urethra and the eye. This is more likely to occur in people with a penis than people with a vulva.
Also Check: Do I Have Chlamydia Or Gonorrhea
Protecting Yourself Against Stis:
- Use a condom. However, nothing is 100% safe. If youâre concerned you might have an STI, even after safe sex, check with your doctor.
At the clinic, your doctor may ask you questions like âDid you use a condom?â or âDid you have multiple sexual partners?â Its not so they can judge you. Itâs so they can organize what further tests you need. So, donât be shy or feel ashamed about your answers.
With a few minor changes, you can take good care of yourself. You can start making better health choices now by
Dont Miss: Can Garlic Cure Chlamydia Infections
Home Test Kit For Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea
If you have had unprotected sex and you think that you may have been infected with either chlamydia or gonorrhoea, we can send you a test to carry out in the comfort of your own home. You should wait 14 days after unprotected sex before taking the test as it can taken up to 2 weeks for the infection to show.
You can also carry out the test as a general health check or when meeting a new partner as precaution. The simple urine test will check for genital chlamydia and genital gonorrhoea.
We will send you a test kit box which includes:
A urine collection box
Pre-Paid envelope to The Doctors Laboratory
How to conduct the test:
1. Simply collect your urine in the collection box and transfer this into the sample tube.
2. Fill out the date you collected your urine and send this using the free-post bag provided with the test kit.
3.This will be sent to the Doctors Laboratory who will then send the results to us.
4. Your results will be received within a week of your sample reaching the lab. We will contact you with your results via your preferred method. If you have chlamydia, we are able to offer you treatment with antibiotics. If you are infected with gonorrhea, we will refer you to your local GUM clinic or GP for treatment. Please ensure all details are correct on your sample as any incorrect or missing information may cause a delay.
99.9% Test Accuracy:
Recommended Reading: 2 Day Treatment For Chlamydia
You May Like: How Can A Woman Tell If She Has Chlamydia
How Over The Counter Antibiotics Help To Get Rid Of Chlamydia
Just went for accurate Chlamydia swab test and want to know about possible OTC for it? Here are some helpful tips for you. The existence of antibiotics has brought a new era in a medical world. Antibiotics are been used in a clinical practice which has allowed or helps in saving millions of lives, that is if been prescribed by a medical expert who knows the pros and cons of the disease. Although antibiotics are been prescribed and are always taken to preventive measures without further considerations. This now decreases the number of resistant, making bacterial strains reduce along side with it.
Over the counter has helped a lot in reducing the stress in rushing to hospitals or clinics in a far distance. The only good thing there is just know the right prescription for it and the problem is solved. So with over the counter antibiotics, it has helped so far by in various ways: